Any use for 50' of 1/4" copper tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Hey,
I have 50' of 1/4" cooper tube that I scavaged, it is clean and unused. Also have a few comppression fittings to suit it. Is there anything that this could be usefull for or is it just too small to be of use?
Cheers

It would make decent gas line for a multiple burner set up or for pilots. But 50' is a lot.

Yeah, I got 2 50' coils for running grease lines at work, only had a 2 hour shut to get the lines in so didn't want to have to try and find 3' of copper tube to finish the job (the plant was about $100k loss per hour if not running! for the $30 or whatever the tube cost it was good insurance!)
I was hoping to go electric if I ever get a brew rig started.
Might keep it if I ever try something with a fridge compressor to chill a fermenter ala Yuri:D

Could throw together the DIY couterflow chiller from the project locator. Instructions call for 3/8 but a few have posted with good results using 1/4.

Or you could send it to me so I can build one ;)

I made my wort chiller out of 1/4" tubing that I had laying around, about 25' I think. It works fine as long as I stir while chilling. I make smaller batches, (3.5 gal.), it takes about 25 min to go from boil to 70 deg.

If you choose to make it into a chiller, double up the coils. Most people use 3/8" tubing for chillers. Flow rate is partially dependent on the cross-sectional area of a tube, which increases proportional to the square of the diameter. 3/8" tubing has a cross-sectional area of 0.0351 in^2, neglecting wall thickness. 1/4" tubing is only 0.0156 in^2, again neglecting wall thickness. So going from 3/8" to 1/4" tubing, you reduce your diameter by 33% but your cross-sectional area drops by almost 50%.

Yeah, two runs split at the input would be fine. It would require two compression tees or you can also drill two 1/4" holes in a 1/2" copper cap and solder them in. Then you can clamp your tubing to the cap.

My chiller is 50' of 1/4", single run. Although flow rate is important, I don't have any problem getting enough flow for a 15 minute chill.

My chiller is 50' of 1/4", single run. Although flow rate is important, I don't have any problem getting enough flow for a 15 minute chill.
Do you pump through the coil? I gravity feed wort through my CFC which has 25 feet of 3/8" tubing, and it takes a minimum of 15 minutes to get 5 gallons through. I'd imagine it'd take an hour if I was using smaller tubing and twice the length.

Back