Any tips to getting all the beer out of the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
Did the bottling today of my first brew. Used the siphon to transfer from the glass carboy to the bottling bucket but there was a ton of sediment in the bottom of the carboy....I tried to tilt the carboy to the side so that I could get the last 3/4 of a gallon out but that just aggravated the sediment and so I just gave up.

Is there any tips out there to make sure you get all (or most) of the beer out without picking up a ton of sediment? I only ended up filling 44 1/2 bottles....trying to make sure I get the full 48!

Also, another question (and probably the reason I have so much sediment in the first place). I tried to strain the wort through a funnel with a 4 inch strainer attached in it when I originally brewed everything...but it clogged in the matter of a 1/2 gallon so I had to remove it and just dump the wort right into the carboy. Is there any better way to do this (maybe a bigger strainer?) so that it does not clog?

Brew 5.5gal instead of 5gal next time. There will always be a trub loss with your beer.

I assume it clogged due to hop pellet matter? Did you use a fine mesh hop-bag? If not, try that. Otherwise, you're right, use a larger strainer. Those dinky little ones that sit in the bottom of the mondo funnels are pretty worthless, I've found.

You are always gonna lose some beer to avoid trub. Tilt the fermentor a few days before siphoning and then you won't have to do it when the time comes. Brewing 5.5 gallons is a great way to get full 5 gallons in the end.

when it comes to racking day, or bottling day, or kegging day I like to get my carboy into position a few hours before I get started. This lets everything settle down and I tend to get most if not all of my beer out. I keep my carboys in milk crates and built a "tilted base" for racking. It is basically just some ply wood and 2x4s but it will hold my carboy steady at about a 30 degree angle. I put the carboy on it in the morning and start getting ready for everything else, then a few hours later I rack after all is settled.

If you use irish moss or fining agents, the sediment is usually "harder" and less susceptible to getting mixed back in.

tip the carboy a day in advance so it can settle.

and you will lose beer every time you rack. its unavoidable.

Back