any tips on buying a Turkey Fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Anything I should look for that you thought was either something you wish you had or have and REALLY think it is good to have?

The Pol

Reaction score
Are you actually going to FRY a turkey? I look for at least a 55K BTU burner, 30qt or larger pot and obviously the rack for the bird to go in the fryer and a thermometer. Getting a pot with a drain valve would be cool, but not necessary. I think I picked mine up for like $35 at Menards

Duckfoot

Reaction score
One thing I wished I had regarding a turkey fryer?

Yeah... a large sheet of cardboard under it the first time I used... Made the Exxon Valdez incident look like a Ford Pinto leaking oil in a driveway... Was surprised HazMat didn't show up at my house...

enicholson

Reaction score
I'm interested in one too. Any tips on where to score an after thanksgiving special?

SilverKing

Reaction score
I'm interested in one too. Any tips on where to score an after thanksgiving special?
just grabbed a brand new 30qt set off Craigslist for $30. I've needed a separate burner and pot for a HLT for a while.

There were a bunch more, some brand new ones too. Craigslist is awesome.

millerbp

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has seen this:

Cabela's

My local add had a 7-1/2 gallon model with the same drain valve and the top of the pot was flared out (something about overflow protection). I'd like to see how the valve/inside of the pot is set up. Especially after I just installed a bulkhead and valve in mine for ~35$.

kajon

Reaction score
I just got one from Target for $40. It is square-based and i can put a keg on it. My other one would not hold the keg.

Reaction score
I Offer a tip to all of you.
Ensure that the fryer you get does NOT have a timer on it. This is mostly prevalent on ****ty little Wal Mart versions like I have. It's a great safety feature for jo-Schlub frying a turkey whilest 3/4 Drunk, but when your damn boil shuts off every 20 minutes, you're NOT GOING TO BE AMUSED!

If I had it to do over.....I'd have gone strait to a Keggle and done the $60 burner from the brew store...but I have NO regrets on the turkey fryer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...If you wait till you're ready to go AG, You'll never do it. Just get a cooler, convert it to mash tun...boil in a turkey fryer. You can upgrade as you go.

sirsloop

Reaction score
I suggest getting yourself a SOLID 40qt stock pot on top of a turkey burner. You can use the rinky dink 30qt pot to heat up mash water and start AGing up the brew.

Malticulous

Reaction score
I'm using a 30 qt. bayou classic form the Homedepot. I do wish I had a bigger pot so I could take more runnings and get higher post-boil efficiency.

enicholson

Reaction score
I Offer a tip to all of you.
Ensure that the fryer you get does NOT have a timer on it. This is mostly prevalent on ****ty little Wal Mart versions like I have. It's a great safety feature for jo-Schlub frying a turkey whilest 3/4 Drunk, but when your damn boil shuts off every 20 minutes, you're NOT GOING TO BE AMUSED!
I just noticed this on that Cabela's link:

Due to a new CSA regulation, all turkey fryers built after July 2007 will be equipped with a safety shut-off timer. The timer will shut off the gas supply after a preset time period unless the user manually resets it.

Bummer.

Reaction score
I just noticed this on that Cabela's link:

Due to a new CSA regulation, all turkey fryers built after July 2007 will be equipped with a safety shut-off timer. The timer will shut off the gas supply after a preset time period unless the user manually resets it.

Bummer.
Well.....The good thing is that even the stupidest person with a phillips screw driver and a butt connector can remove the timer! Take it apart and splice the 2 copper wires together. Works great!
OR skip the turkey fryer and just hit a burner. If I had it to do again, that's what I'd do, but like I said...no regrets either.

Padstack31

Reaction score
Check Craigslist, some fried a turkey over the Holiday, didn't like it and is getting rid of their used once fryer...Personally, I bought both of mine from Home Depot, $45 each. Didn't include a pot, but I have keggles.