any telescope owners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
so Ive been watching the Cosmo's series with Carl Sagan and have decided I wanted to buy a telescope. I know almost nothing about them. Does anybody have one who can lend some advice on where I might want to start? I dont want to drop a lot of money but want a decent telescope.

I don't know anything about telescopes but I've heard on NPR that there's some big freakin' comet right now going around the sun that you can see. :rockin:

Hey, I've got a nice reflecting telescope I bought for the kids to peruse the skies.....and they haven't used it in years.

I'd sell it to ya fairly cheap. Nice tripod, two or three different eyepieces, an adjustment to make it follow the rotation of the earth. PM me if you're interested.

If I lived somewhere that I could use it, I would buy a Meade reflector. Unfortunately, with all the light pollution here in SoCal, a telescope is worthless.

Reflectors are the best for the money, IMO. Larger diameter collects more light so you want to get the one with the biggest you can get. Like in other things, thicker is better than longer. :D

An equatorial mount with a motor drive is helpful. It sucks to get all lined up on something interesting just to have it move out of your view while you're letting the kids take turns looking.

Definitely go for the relecting (mirrors) over the refracting (all lenses) type. I have a celestron that I really love. Plus it will really blow your mind to see the great-spot on Jupitor plus the four big moons at the same time...ESPECIALLY after a couple of home-brews!

Venus is a mind-blower, too, because it goes through phases. You can see a crescent venus that breaks the light like a prism into the primary colors...

-Tripod

I'd love to have a kickaXX telescope. Space has always interested me but about the only thing I know for sure in the night sky is the moon and the big dipper. I spent 30 minutes trying to find that green comet that flew by recently, but had no idea where any of the other constellations were, and none of the online maps helped me.

I have a 10 inch dobsonian mount reflector by Orion and an 80 mm refractor by Stellarvue that serve me very well. Having had several scopes I find the simpler the better for a while until one gets to know how deep you want to get into the hobby. The Orion is complete as is with only a few supplemental eyepieces being wanted. The Stellarvue still needs a mount. Both scopes are about $400 each. Anacortes Telescopes and Wild Bird in Anacortes , WA is near you and Orion is located near Watsonville, CA. Both companies are rated very well among amateurs. Anacortes also operates a site
www.astromart.com where you can find used scopes, equipment reviews and general astro type chat. It is a place to glean lots of info about the hobby.
Good luck in your search

Doug

so Ive been watching the Cosmo's series with Carl Sagan and have decided I wanted to buy a telescope. I know almost nothing about them. Does anybody have one who can lend some advice on where I might want to start? I dont want to drop a lot of money but want a decent telescope.

It all depends on what you're willing to spend; as with most things, maybe even moreso with optics, you get what you pay for. That being said, there are plenty of inexpensive refractor type scopes out there to choose from, Meade makes a decent scope. You can get more power in a smaller pkg with a reflector type, but it might take a little getting used to for some. Have a look at this: Astroscan Telescope - beginner telescope | Edmund Scientific Regards, GF.

Zhumell makes some nice reflectors in the $200-300 range. Really good beginner/enthusiast scopes that will let you see quite a bit. Telescopes.com has a lot of good reviews on the products and good search capabilities. Be sure to get a good selection of eyepieces. Again I'm a fan of Zhumell, they are relatively inexpensive but still of good quality. Just starting out it's important to get something that will make you want to keep looking up, not make you frustrated that you can't see anything. Just keep in mind no telescope is going to make things look like the hubble. :D

Terje

I'd love to have a kickaXX telescope. Space has always interested me but about the only thing I know for sure in the night sky is the moon and the big dipper. I spent 30 minutes trying to find that green comet that flew by recently, but had no idea where any of the other constellations were, and none of the online maps helped me.

Next time try the interactive sky chart: SkyandTelescope.com - Sky Chart
It's easy to use. Regards, GF.

I'd like to minorly threadjack and ask has anyone ever built a telescope? I know the most expensive part is the mirror and I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck finding cheap mirrors.

Unless you have a pretty female neighbor...

Well, that's what I was thinking too.

A telescope seems like one of those things that the average person would think is cool and get excited about...for maybe a week. And then the thing would just sit there unused and mocking you month after month, year after year. I mean, how many times can you look into it and say, "yeah, that little dot is a much bigger dot when I peer though this baby!"

And before you start peering at the neighbors I'd suggest renting "Body Double."

I've got a 150 mm Celestron rich-field telescope. The magnification is high enough for general viewing and very easy to aim. During the last solar eclipse, I used it to project an image on a screen for safe viewing. Also good for sun spots.

I run a 6" reflector.

To the OP: it is commonly said that the best, easiest, and cheapest to get into Cosmos-gazing is with a pair of binoculars. You can, for example, clearly make out the Galilean moons around Jupiter with a set of binos. It's a bit startling, really. You can also make out the shape of Saturns rings (though not see them clearly or see the ring divisions or anything like that. But you can tell they are there).

I have both the telescope and some $100 celestron binos and use the binos for 95% of my night sky work.

the only thing I know for sure in the night sky is the moon and the big dipper. I spent 30 minutes trying to find that green comet that flew by recently, but had no idea where any of the other constellations were, and none of the online maps helped me.

The big dipper is much more interesting and useful than it appears:

* you can use the big dipper (BD hereafter) to easily locate Castor/Pollux, Regulus, Arcturus, Spica ("arc to arcturus then speed on to spica"), Vega, Deneb, Cassiopeia, and of course polaris/northstar. Then daisy chain off those. The BD really can be the key to your understanding of the sky.

* There are revelations in even the most common groups like the BD that will change the way you look at the sky. For example: The second star from the end of the handle is not a star. It is two stars (Mizar and Alcor) which means horse and rider in Arabic. Our Arab brothers used to gauge one's eyesight by whether or not one could make out that this is not one star but a brighter and dimmer one very "close together" (optically speaking).

You can definitely "split" (tell that they are seperate) them in binos. Light pollution or haze may keep you from doing it with just eyeballs.

But the revelation is multilayered: put a telescope on the pair and the brighter one, Mizar, is actually also a double and was the first "star" split with a telescope. Its partner orbits it. The smaller of the two is something like 10x the brightness of our own sun.

Oh, and there are two telescope-visible galaxies in the Ursa Major const. that the BD is a part of.

Nightwatch: A practical guide... is full of handy tricks/tips like how to find the stars/constellations using the BD. Turn left at Orion is my favorite for finding easily locatable splits and galaxies. Both of these will likely be findable at local used bookstores as they are very common. I got mine at Half Price Books fer cheep.

I mean, how many times can you look into it and say, "yeah, that little dot is a much bigger dot when I peer though this baby!"

As noted before, sometimes that dot isn't a dot. Sometimes the dot is a system that can be picked apart under magnification.

And seeing some simple things with my own tools was really affecting. These are easy-peasey but blew me away and still do:

* the major moons of Jupiter, as stated above
* the cassini division in the rings of Saturn
* great "red" spot and striated color on Jupiter
* amazing detail on the moon
* the Trapezium in the Orion Nebula
* splitting stars in general

When SWMBO first saw Saturn out there hanging in space with distinct rings I believe she said "Oh my god...." then lapsed into silence. A bit later she managed "it's like a ghost..." Completely alien, yet out there all the time whether or not we think about it.

I don't mean to convert anyone over to stargazing. But if you have a pair of normal, everyday binos do yourself a favor and take them outside at night. It's amazing.

If I were you I'd look into finding out when and where amatuer astonomers meet in your area. What they do is have "star parties" and anyone can go. They are a friendly bunch who set up their telescopes and let anyone take a look. You'll pretty much encounter every telescope there is and you can ask them questions.We took the kids and we got to see Saturn and its rings, Jupiter and its red storm. The very colorful nebula in the constellation of orion. We even got to see some very distant galaxy. Another cool thing was we got to see satelites with the naked eye and they had a countdown till the space station flew over. Your able to see that with the naked eye as well. I didnt realize that the space station is moving like 16 thousand mph. I thought it just hovered up there. If yor lucky you'll also see shooting stars we did. you'll walk away realizing just how small and insignificant we really are in the bigger scope of creation. Go for it you have nothing to loose.

if you really want to see stars and galaxies go north to the up of michigan. the fewer the population the fewer lights to spoil the view.

as a bonus in the north you can get a glimpse of the northern lights, something everyone should see at least once in thier life.

Resurrecting this thread - as I've been feeling the itch to do some stargazing again. I have a pair of binoculars that does great, but I'd like to get a reflecting scope. See someone mentioned a Celestron earlier - is this a well-regarded 'scope for general viewing?

I'd like to minorly threadjack and ask has anyone ever built a telescope? I know the most expensive part is the mirror and I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck finding cheap mirrors.

I've been working on a telescope for many years. I started out grinding my own mirror with a friend, but he got ahead of me and I didn't want to contaminate his grit with my coarser grit. I'm about to the figuring and polishing stage.

I'd say that if you are handy with tool, and basically adept at minor math and love perfection, then building a telescope is def doable. I keep telling myself that I ought to clean the grinding room out again and finish it.

FWIW my friend never did finish his either, and he ended up buying a dob mount reflecting scope, can't remember either 4 or 6 inches. The one I'm building is about 7.25 inches.

Google ATM (Amateur Telescope Makers). It's a fair amount of work, but certainly possible for the average person to accomplish with effort.

Resurrecting this thread - as I've been feeling the itch to do some stargazing again. I have a pair of binoculars that does great, but I'd like to get a reflecting scope. See someone mentioned a Celestron earlier - is this a well-regarded 'scope for general viewing?

Celestron is what my scope is. It's a 4.5-inch reflector and I am very happy with it! There are plenty of makers out there that are great but I really like my Celestron.

This is the right time of year too because the sky is generally clearer during cold-weather months.

-Tripod

My wifey recently bought me a telescope thingy at a garage sale. It's a Bushnell 60 cm? I dunno. Anyways, it was great the first time i used it to see jupiter. I could see the stripes and all that.....Since then, it never seems to quite get into focus. I target it, then start with the whatever lens makes it less big....But all the lenses seem to crap out just before it gets into focus and the screw thingy won't move any more.

Sorry for all the technical jargon. You guys might not understand things when they is written proper like what when Gallileo used to write stuff.

Castor/Pollux, Regulus, Arcturus, Spica ("arc to arcturus then speed on to spica"), Vega, Deneb, Cassiopeia, and of course polaris/northstar. Then daisy chain off those. The BD really can be the key to your understanding of the sky.

thread jack

all those star names just gave me flash backs of celestial navigation school. any sailors out there ever try to navigate with a sextant and sight reduction tables?

it wasn't a very fun or easy school but it was really fun to fix the ships position with star and moon lines and see how close it was to GPS.

/thread jack

Back