Any suggestions on this IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
Hey, I'm gonna try and make an IPA for my next batch and would appreciate any input. I have a few hops left over so I wanted to try and use some in the recipe. I'm thinking I should probably add some more dry hops but not certain how much or what variety would be good.

OG=1.07
5.5gal
153 mash temp

Yeast: Pacman or WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

9lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
3lbs Vienna Malt
.75lbs Crystal 40L

.5 oz galena 13.2% (60 min)
1 oz cascade 6.8% (30 min)
.5 oz centennial 8.7% (15 min)
1 oz centennial 8.7% (5min)
1 oz centennial (dry hop)
1 oz cascade (dry hop)

Also, in case my LHBS doesn't have the pacman yeast, what would you guys suggest as an alternative?

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast is equivalent to Wyeast Pacman. You might consider replacing 3 lbs of your 2-row with Vienna.

Yep. I like that malt...I think it needs one more oz of Centennial, between 15 and 2, and you are there.

gmcapone said:
Hey, I'm gonna try and make an IPA for my next batch and would appreciate any input. I have a few hops left over so I wanted to try and use some in the recipe. I'm thinking I should probably add some more dry hops but not certain how much or what variety would be good.

OG=1.07
5.5gal
153 mash temp

Yeast: Pacman or WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

9lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
3lbs Vienna Malt
.75lbs Crystal 40L

.5 galena 13.2% (60 min)
1 cascade 6.8% (30 min)
.5 centennial 8.7% (15 min)
.5 goldings 6.7% (dry hop)

Also, in case my LHBS doesn't have the pacman yeast, what would you guys suggest as an alternative?

Okay, just looked again. I agree that another slug of Centennial at about 3 mins (1 oz or so) would be good. Personally, I try to keep my hopping to 3 varieties... in your case, I'd drop the Goldings and dry hop with 1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Cascade. Also, I've started throwing my bittering additions in earlier, 40 mins left to boil- you might need a tad more, but it's less harsh.

Let us know how it turns out. Cheers!!

hmm, I have the .5 galena, and goldings on hand which is why I had them in the recipe. Perhaps I can hold off on using the goldings (I also have .5 oz of saaz). I'll make the dry and aroma hop changes and perhaps stick with the galena at 60min to save a little extra money. If I get any more I'd probably have some left over at the end yet again.

gmcapone said:
hmm, I have the .5 galena, and goldings on hand which is why I had them in the recipe. Perhaps I can hold off on using the goldings (I also have .5 oz of saaz). I'll make the dry and aroma hop changes and perhaps stick with the galena at 60min to save a little extra money. If I get any more I'd probably have some left over at the end yet again.

Or... Goldings in at 30, dry hop with 1oz Cascade!

Or... Goldings in at 30, dry hop with 1oz Cascade!

I think I like your notion of limiting my hops to 3 types. It's not like I HAVE to use the Goldings, just figured I should use my surplus and save the dough. Thanks for all your advice, I'm a noob when it comes to creating recipes....especially IPAs. I'm more familiar with malts than hops. :eek:

Back