any suggestions for flavoring a stout beer in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a batch of stout that has been in primary for about a month or so and I felt like trying to do something extra with it when I put it to secondary.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use to add some extra flavor for when I transfer to secondary? Any input would be greatly appreciated! THanks :mug:

vanilla beans and/or oak cubes?

I have a porter I'm racking to secondary this weekend and I'll be added a couple vanilla beans to it.

anything special you have to do to prepare these additions? Are there specific types of vanilla beans or anything?

Many LHBS carry cans of Oregon brand fruit purees for brewing - just put it in a carboy and rack your beer on top of it. It will start up a secondary fermentation as the yeast eats the fruit sugars, so make sure you use an airlock or blow off tube. Leave it until the fermentation is done and and then a little longer. I left a cherry stout in secondary for two weeks.

Soak an oak spiral in whiskey for a few days then add it, Coca nibs are nice too

Back