Any signs of carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
I bottled my Bock exactly 1 week ago. It fermented really quickly because I pitched the yeast when the wort was over 80 degrees. I primed with honey. What are the odds of me having bubbles now? I'm dying to try it. Is there any way to tell by looking at the bottle? There's a good bit of settled yeast at the bottom.

repeat after me
3 weeks at 70F
3 weeks at 70F
3 weeks at 70F

that's how long you need to wait for bottle conditioning.

Patience...start figuring out your next brew to pass the time ;)

While you do need to have a little patience, on the first couple of batches I opened a bottle at the end of week one, week two, and week three to see how it was coming along. Now I tend to leave 'em for the entire three weeks -- but I have some from previous batches to drink, which makes a difference.

I've never used honey to prime, so no idea if that increases or decreases the time-frame. Shouldn't hurt to sample one. I'm assuming you left the beer in the fermenter for a decent amount of time prior to bottling.

I've read here where someone bottles one bottle in a plastic 16oz or 20oz PET soda bottle so they can give it the "squeeze" test to see how hard the bottle is. I may try that when I bottle the next batch.

[Edit: posted before seeing malkore's reply, so wasn't designed to directly contradict the patience idea and, to his point, it will not be ready yet -- still, I'd probably pop one to try it out. :)]

Rick

Yeah, I already put them back in the basement. I did pout the whole way down the stairs, though.:mad:

I bottled my first batch a week ago, so I decided to check the progress... It was about half way carbonated, and although it tasted VERY good, I can't wait to try it after another 2 weeks.

I couldn't stand it, I had to open one. Wonderful!!! It was 1/2-3/4 of the way carb'd but very tasty. I made alot of mistakes on this one and it still turned out great. I can't wait to taste it in another couple of weeks. Greatest Hobby ever???

Back