Any recommended websites for buying hops in Europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nava854

Reaction score
Last month I bought some hops for two batches of beer from the same website. I just opened a packet of hallertau on brew day (my first brew ever BTW) and it had a disgusting French cheese smell. Probably oxidized I guess. We don’t have a LHBS in my city so we had to use it unfortunately. I also opened a packet of centennial just to check and it didn’t reek of cheese as much, but the smell was certainly there. I'll admit these hops are from the 2019 harvest but I don't think they should smell this bad.

The point is I won’t be buying hops from this online shop ever again. Since I don’t want to take any risks next time I would like to know if you have any recommendations for a good online hop retailer in Europe.

I would prefer to avoid UK-based shops due to the Brexit thingy. The mere thought of European customs gives me goosebumps…

I would prefer to avoid UK-based shops due to the Brexit thingy. The mere thought of European customs gives me goosebumps…

I hear you; I've been buying from themaltmiller almost exclusively for the last two years (it's a wonderful shop with exceeding customer service) and the complexity of customs etc makes the final price of an order a bit of a wildcard at the moment.
I'll give it a try when I really need their extensive product range.

I recently ordered from a German shop hobbybrauerversand.de, but they were out of almost all hops. Literally, only a handful of varieties were available. It's a solid shop otherwise, probably just poor timing.

Thank you all for the recommendations, they all seem solid options!
I think I might have visited all three websites before but I didn't know at the time if I could trust them. Now I'm sure I will check them from time to time.

At the moment I will use the Swedish one. They have all varieties I need right now and from the 2020 harvest, so it seems worth a shot.

Getting good hops in Europe is definitely not easy. I don't have too much experience with European grown hops, but for US and NZ/Au hops I've found the quality when ordering from Yakima Valley Hops (in the US) to be so much better than anythign I've gotten hold of in Europe that I rely on them almost exclusively. Shipping is not that expensive considering the hop prices are lower to begin with. The final price by weight is the same as most European shops and quality is superior. To be considered is that I live in Switzerland (from Sweden originally) and there are no import duties on hops up to ~200 USD/CHF

Humle.se is a good store in general, but I've been underwhelmed by their hops.

Back