Any recommendations for the widest 10 gallon brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowgman

Reaction score
Alas, it's time for me to downsize to a smaller apartment. The plus side, is I will have a natural gas range to brew beer!

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a brew pot (or any stainless pot for that matter) that is wide enough to go over two burners on a gas stove? Maybe an oval pot? :)

I only do 5-6 gallon batches, so I will need a 9-10 gallon pot.

Thanks!

Would something a bit like this thing do, but in stainless. I make it to be about 16 gallons. No idea where you would look for one though. I just saw this while browsing craigslist and remembered this post.

Isn't the boil off rate and the heat loss to boil off going to be much greater for a pot with those kinds of dimensions?

I think you'd be better off supplementing a regular pot with an electric heat stick or bucket heater - 1000W is equivalent to about a 4000-5000 BTU/hr burner once you take the inefficiencies in heat transfer into account. This has worked well for me on my gas stove, using one of the big burners. I can maintain and even reach boil with just the burner, but it's much quicker with the bucket heater.

You'll also have to watch out for clearance above the stove, my kitchen has a range hood/microwave unit installed above it, and I can only get my 9 gallon pot over one burner.

I use this one from Williams Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-40-QUART-BREWKETTLE-P2366C50.aspx

$100 with ball valve (brass). It's kinda thin, but has worked great for me. I can get it on both burners with minimal flame on the side. I use a little aluminum foil on the side to keep the heat down (only a few inches worth on two sides - need to make sure there is still good airflow).

It might be a little larger than your needs, but I use the Polarware 60qt. According the the copy of the manufacturer specs I have, it is 17 7/8 in. internal diameter, and only 13 3/4 in tall. It's a pretty stout pot. Would help prevent boil over on larger beers too.

Isn't the boil off rate and the heat loss to boil off going to be much greater for a pot with those kinds of dimensions?

I think you'd be better off supplementing a regular pot with an electric heat stick or bucket heater - 1000W is equivalent to about a 4000-5000 BTU/hr burner once you take the inefficiencies in heat transfer into account. This has worked well for me on my gas stove, using one of the big burners. I can maintain and even reach boil with just the burner, but it's much quicker with the bucket heater.

You'll also have to watch out for clearance above the stove, my kitchen has a range hood/microwave unit installed above it, and I can only get my 9 gallon pot over one burner.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Alas, it's time for me to downsize to a smaller apartment. The plus side, is I will have a natural gas range to brew beer!

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a brew pot (or any stainless pot for that matter) that is wide enough to go over two burners on a gas stove? Maybe an oval pot? :)

I only do 5-6 gallon batches, so I will need a 9-10 gallon pot.

I do 6 gal batches,too, but I'm more comfortable using a 15 gal BK. More room & avoids boil overs. In any case, Update Int'l makes SS pots that get more width vs height as they get larger. For instance my 15 g is only about 2" higher than my 8 gal. It is 18" wide.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back