Any reason I can’t use this as a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acaciadrian

Reaction score
So this is a 5 gallon refillable water jug from my local grocery store. It states on the bottom that is should not be used for any other liquid but from looking online I don’t know why I couldn’t use it in place of a PET carboy. Any thoughts or known issues?
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg

Last edited:
Remember EVERYTHING is a poison at certain doses. Too much spinach and you'll die of oxylate poisoning. I'm sure they're fine. Homer buckets are like $5 with a lid tho.

Remember EVERYTHING is a poison at certain doses. Too much spinach and you'll die of oxylate poisoning. I'm sure they're fine. Homer buckets are like $5 with a lid tho.

Damn you and your logic and smarts :) I guess I just like the clear aspect for racking purposes.

The price can't be beaten as it DOES come for free .... but in my opinion, you'd be better off buying a 5gal Better Bottle for just over $25. A 5gal Better Bottle is rated up to 140F for hot liquids and advertised as being resistant to oxygen permeability, which means it makes a great seal and won't contribute off-flavors to the beer.

Jugs that hold water are often not very impermeable to air infiltration. Oxidation could be a problem as soon as the active fermentation ends with CO2 off gassing.

Jugs that hold water are often not very impermeable to air infiltration. Oxidation could be a problem as soon as the active fermentation ends with CO2 off gassing.
I've never really bought that. If the container is sealed but at atmospheric pressure then sure permeation may occur. But during and after fermentation, the vessel is at a higher pressure then atm. I've always called BS on this. I've have multiple professional brewers and specifically asked for off-flavors and oxygenation detection. None detected..

Well we drink water out of it so...
theres actually a difference because of things like the ph of the wort and its effect on the plastic leaching into the wort/beer. thats why it has the warning to only use it for the water.

then theres the oxidation thing mentioned above. you say its BS but theres a lot of time and money invested at the commercial level to prevent it and they generally dont waste money without gain at that level so...

maybe your beers dont sit around long enough to show them since I have read one of the biggest benefits is a much longer shelf life of the beer.

Last edited:
But they are a pita to clean with the handle.

This.... I'm with you on keeping the costs down but can you imagine trying to get trub out of that handle? If you want to use one of these bottles exchange it for one without the handle.

there's actually a difference because of things like the ph of the wort and its effect on the plastic leaching into the wort/beer. that's why it has the warning to only use it for the water.

Then there is this... Maybe not such a good idea.

I bought a similiar (without the handle) from an office supply store (!), it said it was PET, that's why I bought it. The shape of it was more or less the same as the one in the pic, and even that was a pita to clean because of the edges/shape of it.

I use the ones with the handle to mix Star-San, Iodopher and OxyClean. After about a year they tend to start leaking at the seam so I exchange it at work for a fresh one every 6 months or so.

I used one without the handle to make apfelwein with once, and it did fine, but I prefer to ferment in my buckets or glass carboy.

Back