Quantcast

Any proven wit recipes....

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I'm looking for a wit recipe similar to a Hoegaarden or Mothership Wit. I like Blue Moon ok but would much rather have one I guess more true to the style like the first two I mentioned so I'm not sure I'd want to do the blue balls recipe by BM. A pretty tried and true recipe would be great as I'm still learning and bulletproof stuff is great for me.

Duster72

Reaction score
I would do Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. The feedback here says it is very similar to Hoegaarden.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
The partial mash Belgian White kit from Austin Homebrew is pretty damn fantastic and very inexpensive - better than Hoegaarden in my opinion. I don't do kits anymore now that I have started tweaking recipes and buying hops in bulk, but my wit recipe still sticks fairly close to the one from AHS.

Piotr

Reaction score
So whats the max points on beertools scale, 50 points?? The recipe looks good though.
No, I got 42 points (out of 50) on a hombrewer competition, from judges. I made a series of 8 witbiers last year and this one was the best.
You may change the hops for more traditional (saaz?), the bitterness might have been more delicate it that beer...

Bob

Reaction score
I presume you're looking for all-grain. Here's mine:

Blanche des Trois Chiens

Grist:

40% Pils
40% Wheat Malt
10% Flaked Oats
10% Torrefied Wheat

Target an OG of 1.048-1.052. Mash at 150-152F for one hour. Rice hulls really help.

For five gallons:

3.5 # Pils
3.5 # Wheat malt
1 # Flaked oats
1 # Torrefied Wheat

Hops Schedule:

1 oz Saaz @ 4% AA - 30 - 8 IBU (you heard me)

Spices:

1 oz Cracked Coriander
1 oz Dried Bitter Orange Peel
10 g Paradise Seed
1 blade Star Anise

[note: all above added with 5 minutes left in the boil]

Ferment with Wyeast 3944.

This is a scaled down version of a very successful recipe I used to brew professionally. Be careful with star anise; overdo it, and you're sucking on a licorice stick (yuk). The 5bbl batch used TWO whole star anise. You're using one blade of the star here.

Good luck!

Bob