Any Other NHL Fans out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy

Reaction score
After yet another frustrating game as my Sabres can't seem to get anything going against Ottawa this season, and take advantage of the (unmighty) Ducks stumble, I figured i'd see if there were any other Hockey fans out there.

Unfortunatly WI doesn't have a "home" team, so i've adopted the Sabres as my since I had relatives in Buffalo. Fortunatly they are having a great season this year, but at this point i certainly wouldn't want them to meet up with Ottawa in the playoffs.

SO...who does everyone else root for!!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

I used to casually watch the Blackhawks. The owner, ranked the WORST owner in pro sports, has completely turned what was once a rabid fanbase into fans of the Wolves or other sports.

Since we don't see home games on TV, I don't bother with the sport anymore.

I'm a long suffering Hawks fan too. I pretty much gave up on the NHL after the strike, but got into the playoffs a little bit last year and if I see a game on HD I usually find myself watching it. Slowly getting back into it.

Dude said:
I'm a long suffering Hawks fan too. I pretty much gave up on the NHL after the strike, but got into the playoffs a little bit last year and if I see a game on HD I usually find myself watching it. Slowly getting back into it.

Hockey does look great in HD, doesn't it? I think it improves the at-home experience more than any other sport.

Yeah, the strike really has seemed to kill the fanbase pretty much everywhere (at least around here). It really is unfortunate. They definity need to start broadcasting more games on "regular" tv again. I subscribe to center ice, but it would be nice be able to watch some games while out at the bars.

Sandy said:
Unfortunatly WI doesn't have a "home" team, so i've adopted the Sabres as my since I had relatives in Buffalo. Fortunatly they are having a great season this year, but at this point i certainly wouldn't want them to meet up with Ottawa in the playoffs.

You've got nothing to worry about with the Sens...they fail miserably in the playoffs every year. And I have zero sympathy for your frustrations at all--your Sabres have destroyed the Blueshirts all season. :mad:

gaelone said:
You've got nothing to worry about with the Sens...they fail miserably in the playoffs every year. And I have zero sympathy for your frustrations at all--your Sabres have destroyed the Blueshirts all season. :mad:

Fair 'nuf...i was expecting that! :D

Yeah...i know that's typicall the case with the Sen's....don't know though...they just seem to have Miller figured out right now. Lots of hockey left though, so we'll see!

If I were you I would put my money on the Sabres.....nobody is going to stop them this year. Assuming they stay healthy.

I LOVE the Boston Bruins!! I bleed Black & Gold so much, that through out the summer, I am online prepping for training camp and the next season. After a disappointing start, the boys are starting to show what I saw on paper leading up to now. With a few internal moves, the future looks nice:rockin: .

For you 'Hawks fans, I'm happy for you with the results of your coaching change and hope this is the turn around to bring you back to original 6 glory (except against us;) ). I don't know how CenterIce works for your home games, but it is available online for short money. If you go onto one of my favorite websites www.hockeysfuture.com/ you can log on and read about your favorite teams, and there will likely be a thread about getting CI online. Otherwise, I know there are threads about it in the Bruins and Canadians sections.

As for the Sabres... damn are they on fire... Hopefully we can extinguish that in the playoffs:mug:

Hippie said:
Hey BB, what's up, no shout out for the B's or the 'Canes?

OK, Hippie, here ya go....

I am a hockey junkie, been addicted since '67 or so.
Grew up in the Boston suburbs playing youth hockey and watching Bobby Orr and The Big, Bad Bruins.
Moved to NC in '88
My 3 daughters and I have been Caniacs since '97 when the Whalers moved to Raleigh. We've been season ticket holders since 2001.
I can't play anymore (2 torn meniscuses) but the girls and I enjoy a good game of roller hockey in the cul-de-sac.

I like the Wings but watch just about any hockey out there. I can't play yet this year (long story) but my daughter plays on a U16 team that travels some. They are pretty good. My son's team (bantam) is awful. But it's still hockey! Fox sports network shows the MSU and Wings games. I love hockey, but didn't see any games growing up in Ohio. I became a fan late in life.

Lorena

I've never gotten into hockey. Wasn't on TV growing up. The local newspapers ignored it. The Bruins were too far away to see in person. Probably more important, there were no youth teams in town, so nobody grew up playing it. I know where I live now, youth hockey is a big deal, so more people actually pay attention, but we didn't have a rink. We'd play a little bit on a frozen pond, but never really got into it.

So, it's hard for me to watch it on TV. I've gone to some minor league games and had fun, I should do that again, but even those are a bit of a haul to get to.

lorenae said:
I like the Wings but watch just about any hockey out there. I can't play yet this year (long story) but my daughter plays on a U16 team that travels some. They are pretty good. My son's team (bantam) is awful. But it's still hockey! Fox sports network shows the MSU and Wings games. I love hockey, but didn't see any games growing up in Ohio. I became a fan late in life.

Lorena

Lie-ons or the wings........Lets Go Red Wings.....its gotten to the point with the Lie-ons....they don' want to win....hell, they sell out every home game, why bother putting together a winning team. Hockey is a better sport anyways...yeah bring it on....the NFL is not what it used to be....too much media "spotlighting"...everything is analysed way beyond reason. No one ever goes back on the commentators the week after their predicitions. Yeah, in Michigan, its the Lions we deal with.

Sandy said:

SO...who does everyone else root for!!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

As a Milwaukee Admirals fan I root for the Nashville Predators. Half their roster looks like the Admirals of a few years ago. Great season they're having, too!

And NHL Center Ice is :rockin:

Hippie said:
I LOVE the Boston Bruins!! I bleed Black & Gold so much, that through out the summer, I am online prepping for training camp and the next season. After a disappointing start, the boys are starting to show what I saw on paper leading up to now. With a few internal moves, the future looks nice:rockin: .

I'm actually going to be out in Boston in a few weeks and we picked up some tickets to the Bruins game. (OK, so it's the Sabres game, in Boston, but what can ya do :D ) I'll definitly have to hit up some of you guys for tips on the "must visit" pubs/beer bars before i leave. From what i understand the area is pretty loaded. We'll only be out there for a few days, so we'll have to make the stops count. :cross:

Wolf said:
As a Milwaukee Admirals fan I root for the Nashville Predators. Half their roster looks like the Admirals of a few years ago. Great season they're having, too!

And NHL Center Ice is :rockin:

If i was a bit closer to Milwaukee i'd probably be a bigger Admirals fan. I've been to a few games, but not many. Tough to be a fan when you never get to see them play though.

Center Ice is great, but it kinda stinks that we are basically forced to get it if we want to see any Hockey at all.

Sandy said:
If i was a bit closer to Milwaukee i'd probably be a bigger Admirals fan. I've been to a few games, but not many. Tough to be a fan when you never get to see them play though.

Center Ice is great, but it kinda stinks that we are basically forced to get it if we want to see any Hockey at all.

Well, I'm an Admirals fan too (because it's the closest team to me) and I'm 250 miles away! But you're right- I only go to maybe 2 games a year, because it's a 5 hour drive each way, and it's hard to follow a team that way. That's why I watch the Wings- the games are televised on our cable channel. (Fox sports net from Detroit.)

Lorena

Are they not on strike anymore?

When i head up to northern ontario every summer to fish they love it when i ask that question. Could never get into it.

If you want to see fighting, watch boxing.

Now that they hove gotten ride of the blue line or what ever it is perhaps the game will be faster, but still have not sat down to watch it.

Sandy, on the website I listed, I'm pretty sure they have a sticky set up for things to do in Boston, on the Bruins message board. As for beer, there are 2 brew pubs within 3 blocks of the 'gahden', Commonweath Brewing, and the Boston Beer Works. I haven't been to Commonweath in a long time:( , but I went to BBW before my last game (last year) go a bit before gametime in order to get a sampler, as they gave me a hassle when I wanted one (could have been the bartender as well, I wasn't 100% thrilled there, but the beer was very good). Also right there is Sullivan's Tap, a local landmark. Expect all of them to be busy, as besides the game crowd, the Garden sits atop North Station, so you'll end up with alot of commuters if it is a weekday game.

PM me if you have any other Q's, & to tell me where you are staying & what you are looking to do, and I give any advice I can

Cool thanks...i'll check that out! Yeah, we're only going to be there Thursday thru Saturday evening, so it doesn't give us a ton of time. My Sister-in-Law lives out there now, so we're staying with her. I can't remember exactly where she lives, but she works at Boston University, and lives within a 15-20 minute bus ride of the University.

I'll definitly hit ya up if i have any questions though! Thanks Again! :mug:

If you are going to be near BU, you HAVE TO go to the Sunset Grill, which is across the street from the Agganis Arena. You might not make the game though:mug:

Man...I'm really getting into hockey this year....I've been watching a ton of games that I Tivo almost every day. Hardly ever get to see the hawks but they suck as usual anyway....

The Predators trade Scotty Upshall and prospect Ryan Parent for Peter Forsberg.
Okay, I know he's become injury prone and is only a few years away from his AARP card, but I smell a Stanley Cup!

I think Forsberg's best days are over. He might, however, be able to help a young team if he stays healthy.

Boston said:
I think Forsberg's best days are over. He might, however, be able to help a young team if he stays healthy.

Agreed. He could be the veteran leadership that this team needs. He has more points in the playoffs than the entire Predators roster combined. Hopefully he is the last piece of the puzzle.
If Vokoun stays healthy the Vokoun/Mason tandem in goal should be more than able to take them deep.

didn't he have a concussion problem too? or was that Sakic? They also traded a first round pick and another pick for him. Sounds a little too pricey for a guy who is damaged goods.

todd_k said:
didn't he have a concussion problem too? or was that Sakic? They also traded a first round pick and another pick for him. Sounds a little too pricey for a guy who is damaged goods.

Yeah, he's missed 14 games with assorted injuries, including the foot and the concussion. Nashville has clearly decided this is the year, and is willing to trade picks for the one year rental that Forsberg may be.
I think there's two reasons for that. First, the team is in trouble. Attendance is not where they need it to be and a trip to the finals could help solve that problem. Second, they are a very young team and have a good core unit in place for years to come, so I guess they think they can afford to lose the picks.
(Edit: ) Actually, as a Milwaukee Admiral's fan I guess I should be upset about that, but it would be great to see some of our former guys compete for the Cup. Lief is simpler and happier when you accept your teams role as a developmental team.

How the hell did I miss this thread? I live and die hockey. More death though, as a Kings fan. Thanks Lord Sterrock for transferring ownership of your worthless goaltender our way.

3656-cloutier.jpg

Back