Any one know a good oatmeal stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried and true, no, but I have been researching this style quite a bit lately and I intend to brew one this coming weekend. My recipe is as follows:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: !Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: John Setzler
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 33.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.23 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (30 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: JMS Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
JMS Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 170.6 F 154.0 F

There are two variables in this recipe that I haven't fully decided upon yet. The first is when I will actually put the vanilla beans in the secondary fermenter. I plan to split and soak two vanilla beans in a small amount of vodka for about two weeks (while primary fermentation is going on). I'll most likely rack to secondary and put the vanilla beans and vodka in after it has been in secondary for 3 or 4 days.

The second variable is the yeast choice. I actually plan to use some WLP001 California Ale yeast that I saved from a previous brew. I'll make a 1 liter starter from that most likely. I'll only use the S-05 if that WLP001 isn't viable for some reason...

I'm also considering toast either half or all of the flaked oats...

How did this turn out? I have my first oatmeal stout currently in secondary for another week or so. I was wondering how much roasted flavor you got using just .25 lbs of roasted barely. I like a nice dark roasted flavor in my stouts. My recipe included 1 and 1/2 lbs of crystal malt 60, .5 lbs of chocolate and .5 lbs of roasted barley, this is an extract recipe so I also used 6 lbs of LME. Oh ya, and 1 lb of quaker classic oats. Also, how did the soaking of the beans in vodka do? I had a similar idea for a vanilla Porter but planned on quartering the beans and steeping them for 20 to 30 min in about 2 cups of water then adding that to secondary. I am curious what soaking the beans in vodka did for the flavor of the beer.

Pretty new at this, but I made a stout in May with:
20 lbs Pale Ale
1 lb Black Pattent
1lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Crystal 60

10 gal. I thought it was great. A very good roasty taste.

I have an Oatmeal Stout in the secondary made with:
18 lbs 2 row
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Chocolate
2 lbs Rolled Oats
1 lb Flaked Barley
.5 lb Black Pattent

I am expecting great things, but will not know for a month.

In between I made a Porter with a similar grain bill but only .5 lb roasted barley. I can still taste it, but the roasted flavor is not as strong.

Back