Any off-grid brewers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I am not off the grid but I have done some research on the subject and I'm afraid you'll probably spend a lot more than $10k on solar, wind, or hydro equipment. All that technology is still expensive right now. You also may find, that depending on where you live, you may not get enough sunlight to make a solar panel efficient.

Some power companies give incentives also there are state and federal tax credits for solar or alternative energy methods.

Yeah, I figure the 10k would offset about a third of the cost of an adequate system. As for incentives most of those are spoken for instantly and have a backlog of people who would like to receive them. The power co.s are required to buyback power from you if you can manage a grid-tied system but that would defeat my purpose.

Makes sense if you are gonna be there more than 8 years.. plus, it will add some value to the house.

If you want to be off the grid, you will need to do a lot of research on your area and I suggest having an energy expert survey your area. It is likely that one form of alternative energy will not be enough, unless you invest in some SERIOUSLY expensive equipment. Most people who do the alt energy thing make it work by selling a bunch of power into the grid during the day, then using grid power at night, when they are not producing as much and using more. Cool idea though, keep us posted if you go through with it.

Hey sounds great. Like Kabouter mentions, you will most likely need a combination of technologies. Please, please please build your house to utilize passive solar (if it's not too late)? All it requires really for where you are is (mainly) southern exposure and ~70% of your windows on that side of the house, appropriate roof overhang and materials with a high heat capacity (stone floors, etc).

Look into solar water heating. They now have evacuated tube technology that is light and effective.

See if a Geothermal system is feasible in your area. The reason I say all this is because you have to reduce your load to bring yourself down to a reasonable usage for going off-grid. A combination of technologies will accomplish that goal.

I would second the looking into geothermal. It is arguably the best alternative energy you can buy for your house. You are currently in the building phase and installing geothermal would be much easier now than in say 5 years when you don't want your yard being dug up. It can get very expensive, but if you plan on living there it may prove to be beneficial depending on the feasibility of solar panels etc.

My family recently put up solar panels and solar hot water. The Government incentives basically covered all the costs of labor and all we had to pay for was the equipment, the solar company was very helpful about this.

Instead of wasting money on batteries we did a grid tie, meaning that we're putting power back into the lines if were not consuming what we're making during the day and it makes a power bill cost almost nothing. In a sense, it should pay for itself after a long time, but at least we wont have to replace batteries or worry about running out of juice!

As good as alternative energy sounds, you will need to get permits for installation. I had the same problem, $15k to get power company to install. I looked into alternates, getting permits and $. It didnt even compare. Getting a permit for a windmill was almost impossible because people dont like to look at them. I cut the $15k down to about $10k by having the power company bring power as far as my property, then I rented a mini excavator and put conduit in and ran underground about 300' to my house. I am glad i went this route in the end, because now its done and I dont have some high maintenance alternative costing me a ton more in the end. The problem with the alternatives is they are more expensive and mostly only people with money use them so the people that maintain them put it to you to keep them working properly. Spend the $10k and get energy star appliances.

No matter what approach you take or how much you spend on alternative energy, you'll need some form of backup power. Any solar photovoltaic system means battery storage and a gas/diesel generator, ditto wind. Batteries are big, expensive and a pain to maintain. Geothermal is a good source of heat, IF you have a powered heat-pump to use it. Alternately, you can drill until you hit a hot layer, but drilling ain't cheap.

For only $10K, I'd connect to the grid. I'd do other things, but that amount is tiny compared to the upfront cost of alternative energy systems and long-term costs of power storage.

If your property has a reasonable amount of wood on it and you enjoy (or are will to learn) wacking up logs, it can be a very good way to heat a place in Maine.

Finally, insulation is your best friend off the grid, or anywhere.

Lots of good replies. I am building a passive solar ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) home. It will be very efficient strong and quiet. The guy who is pumping my concrete lives in one that is 3800 sq ft. Last year he used 225 gallons of propane. That was for home heating, domestic hot water, cooking and clothes drying. That is quite good especially in our climate.
I have a wood stove and free wood to last a lifetime. I also have a 7kw diesel generator (which was given to me) for back up power. I plan on very efficient appliances, LED lighting, etc. I will have a solar water heating system regardless of the grid situation. The refrigerators I am looking at for an off grid system (sunfrost) are expensive and I am going to need a lot of cooling space for beer! (the whole impetus for this thread). I still have a while to wrestle with the idea, I only just finished the last concrete pour a couple of hours ago.

I plan on following this thread. My wife and I just bought a 10 acre "hobby farm" and have quite a bit of work to do on the house. Built in 1866 it has been added on to and is in solid shape, just needs a new roof, better insulation, etc. We are both very serious about utilizing green technologies and since we plan on staying here pretty much forever, are sure that we'll reap the long term benefits. Since you're building yours from scratch it will be MUCH easier for you to minimize costs and do things right. I would recommend taking advantage of passive solar whenever possible. Then look at a collector coupled with radiant floors which can also help cool the house when cold water is brought in from a well. One thing I've had problems with is navigating the confusing system of government incentives and subsidizing programs... I keep hearing that money is out there but have any of you actually been sucessful in getting any?

Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
Solar Space Heating - DIY

Back