Any need of storing wine bottles horizontally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my first batch of apfelwein in wine bottles. I was just wondering, I have heard that with corked wine bottles you should store them horizontally so the cork doesnt dry out, Is this applicable for Apfelwein? I figured it was only for really long term storage. The reason I ask is because i would rather not store horizontally because Im afraid any sediment will get mixed back in when i stand it up.

That is a good point about the sediment, and also the reason that when I recently started bottling in wine bottles that I purchased the synthetic corks...Nothing to dry out.
My Apfelwein has been bottled for about a week...trust me, it won't last long enough for the corks to dry out.:mug:

I wouldn't go past a year with natural corks. If you want to age it, just lay it down. You can set it upright 2-3 weeks before you want to serve it.

FWIW Newbie here, but...

I bottled my wine, soaked the natural corks overnight and then dipped them in wax. Thereby hopefully won't have the dried out cork problem. I cannot store them on their sides.

Time will tell!

Jennifer

From what I have read and heard, it is not advised that you soak your corks much at all and definitely not overnight.

david_42 said:
I wouldn't go past a year with natural corks. If you want to age it, just lay it down. You can set it upright 2-3 weeks before you want to serve it.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Back