Any Mixed Martial Arts fans here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, I am the first to post.

I thought it was a great fight. I thought Rampage had the upper hand because he is a power house and can take some serious punishment. Very unlikely that Forrest was going to submit him. Forrest formulated a great game plan and stuck to it. He was aggressive enough to rattle Jackson's cage and kept him from raining down punches. Working the knee was great Forrest would no have one with out that. Forrest did what he had to do to win by decision because he wasnt going to win any other way. Bookoo Kudos.

We had some guy just start raging about how Jackson was robbed cause he stunned Forest in the second round and forrest never answered. Made for an interesting conversation.... He apparently still thinks Im an idiot ;)

Edit-
Oh and Melvin wins in a his typical flash and flurry mannor, uhg.

Man that was a great Fight, I guess the guy you were arguing with thinks if you take one round you win the fight. Forrest Methodically picked Quinton Apart. He had great head movement and foot worked and The those leg kicks were nasty. Wow am I happy tonight.:rockin:

I thought it was a great fight too. I'll take nothing away from Forest, but I was a little surprised he won at the end. I thought it was close to a draw and I think you have to beat the champ to take his belt.

That being said, Rampage wasn't robbed at all - it could have gone either way. I can't WAIT for the rematch!!

Man that was a great Fight, I guess the guy you were arguing with thinks if you take one round you win the fight. Forrest Methodically picked Quinton Apart. He had great head movement and foot worked and The those leg kicks were nasty. Wow am I happy tonight.:rockin:

Sounds more like he thinks one punch will win a fight. I thought Rampage would end up on top but am VERY happy that Forest wone. He came out with a perfect plan and executed it to a T. I can't believe he took some of those sledgehammers so well! I am also pleased with the way fighters are getting so much smarter with their game plans.

One thing that I can't stand about SOME MMA fans is the need to boo when there isn't a flurry of punches in the first 30 seconds of a fight. I was watching the fight with my son-in-law and he stated that "at this level they are also entertainers and need to put on a show from the opening seconds."
I wanted to smack him but my training kicked in and I just kept my moth shut and chuckled. Do people not realize that these are careers on the line?

Sounds more like he thinks one punch will win a fight. I thought Rampage would end up on top but am VERY happy that Forest wone. He came out with a perfect plan and executed it to a T. I can't believe he took some of those sledgehammers so well! I am also pleased with the way fighters are getting so much smarter with their game plans.

One thing that I can't stand about SOME MMA fans is the need to boo when there isn't a flurry of punches in the first 30 seconds of a fight. I was watching the fight with my son-in-law and he stated that "at this level they are also entertainers and need to put on a show from the opening seconds."
I wanted to smack him but my training kicked in and I just kept my moth shut and chuckled. Do people not realize that these are careers on the line?

It annoys me as well, IF I was in there I'd do the same thing. I don't want to be Knocked out I want the belt. People dont look at it like that....I thought the way Forrest utalized those kicks and pushed the pace was more entertaining then any KO. Rampage only went for the One Punch KO the entire fight and Did nothing else he was outworked and out scored. Even when Rampage tried to do the big slam he couldn't do it because Forrest grabbed his leg, Forrest is a completely diffrent fighter than he was.

Forrest is a completely diffrent fighter than he was.

Remember about a year and a half ago, Forest won a big fight anf Joe asked him after the fight if he was ready for a title fight? Forest responded with something like "I won't be ready for a shot at the title until I stop f'ing doing this (he starts swinging like a windmill)?
Not one windmill punch the whole fight. He has definately matured!

I was watching the fight with my son-in-law and he stated that "at this level they are also entertainers and need to put on a show from the opening seconds."

If he wants entertainment he should watch westling.

What art(s) have you trained in?

Remember about a year and a half ago, Forest won a big fight anf Joe asked him after the fight if he was ready for a title fight? Forest responded with something like "I won't be ready for a shot at the title until I stop f'ing doing this (he starts swinging like a windmill)?
Not one windmill punch the whole fight. He has definately matured!

Ya I remember that now that you mention it, I think that was in Belfast Ireland. You are right, No sloppiness at all saturday. He is still young and with Randy training him I still dont think he has yet reached his full potential.

These kind of recent decision fights I keep seeing make me pine for the old days of UFC when you just went until somebody won. Only having a few short rounds really takes technique, skill, and stamina out of the game and substitutes brute force. More fans seem to enjoy it, which is why what's his name is making lots of money, but for those of us who actually train I think we miss seeing a 15-minute setup to a submission or KO. Too many fights lately are just getting interesting, the guys are just figuring each other out, when the bout ends.

These kind of recent decision fights I keep seeing make me pine for the old days of UFC when you just went until somebody won. Only having a few short rounds really takes technique, skill, and stamina out of the game and substitutes brute force. More fans seem to enjoy it, which is why what's his name is making lots of money, but for those of us who actually train I think we miss seeing a 15-minute setup to a submission or KO. Too many fights lately are just getting interesting, the guys are just figuring each other out, when the bout ends.

Huh? The old days before it was the UFC it wasnt even sactioned in the US. When Dana White picked it up and changed the rules then it became legal. If it wasnt for Dana White we would still be watching a bunch of mismatched brawlers. You sound like you have done this before but have you ever gone a 5 minute round? 5 minutes is a LONG Fing round! Boxers only go 3 minutes at a time and they are no where close to the level of physical demand as a MMA round.

The conditioning for the title fights is rediculous. Those guys leave it on the mat man.

Huh? The old days before it was the UFC it wasnt even sactioned in the US. When Dana White picked it up and changed the rules then it became legal. If it wasnt for Dana White we would still be watching a bunch of mismatched brawlers. You sound like you have done this before but have you ever gone a 5 minute round? 5 minutes is a LONG Fing round! Boxers only go 3 minutes at a time and they are no where close to the level of physical demand as a MMA round.

The conditioning for the title fights is rediculous. Those guys leave it on the mat man.

I agree, I watched the Ufc when it first started, you would see a 155 # guy fight a damn 450# guy. It was not as entertaining to me as it is now.

What do you guys think of the organization EliteXC? I personally think it's a joke and is setting the sport back. Reminds me of the old WWW. Kimbo getting the cover of ESPN? What a slap in the face to anyone who has paved the way for this generation of fighters.

What do you guys think of the organization EliteXC? I personally think it's a joke and is setting the sport back. Reminds me of the old WWW. Kimbo getting the cover of ESPN? What a slap in the face to anyone who has paved the way for this generation of fighters.

I only watch UFC, I think Elite XC and StrikeForce are just boys among men. I watched Elitexc once and when I seen girls dancing on the ramp like the WCW nitro girls.....I turned it off and watched the Home and Garden Channel. However I will be tuning into the Affliction PPV on the 19th.

On the 19th Im watching the affliction PPV. Is anyone else watching it or are they watching the UFC ultimate Fight night?

Was it worth it? I just couldn't pull the trigger on that one.

I watched em both, the UFC one was worth it because it was free. Always great to watch anderson silva.

The affliction even was better than a lot of UFC ppvs. Was a really good card and I really enjoyed watching Tim Sylvia get embarrassed again.

EliteXC and Strikeforce serve their purpose, great for producing up and comers. Not only that but as UFC is able to have the best of the best it will help these guys get paid well for what they do. 250k-350k for a fight is a little low for how much UFC ppvs bring in.

The Lawler vs. Smith fight was pretty damn good. I do have exciting news though. We enrolled our son into tiny tigers MMA class today. They teach defense striking and grappling and he really took to it fast. He is 2.5 years old and I can't believe how fast he took to it. Master asked him to bow and he bowed and shook hands and everything im very proud of him.

Necrothread, arise!

necro.jpg

Back