New Hampshire Any mead makers in Southern NH or North of Boston?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if there were any mead makers near me. With all the meaderies popping up around me, I figured there would be more people like me who don't want to pay the $14-$25/bottle & would want to make their own. My current.....ahem......predicament šŸ„“šŸ˜‹
20201201_205119.jpg

Just curious if there were any mead makers near me. With all the meaderies popping up around me, I figured there would be more people like me who don't want to pay the $14-$25/bottle & would want to make their own. My current.....ahem......predicament šŸ„“šŸ˜‹View attachment 709284
I'm in Milton, NH. Not really "near you", but always interested in meeting other locals.

I need to pull samples from all the mead that's been aging for 7+ years now. I have several sealed vessels (purged with CO2). Some got oak cubes added back in late October (2020).

Thinking about making a new batch, depending on how these are. Then again, I might just wait to see if I'll be moving around/by the end of this year (further north in NH).

I don't have enough free space in my current place to have a spread of batches like that. I'll see if I have time to take pictures of what my batches have been living in. Might happen before next weekend. ;)

I don't have enough free space in my current place to have a spread of batches like that. I'll see if I have time to take pictures of what my batches have been living in. Might happen before next weekend. ;)
There are only 5 total gallons in that picture that are still in primary. All of the others are bulk aging.

There are only 5 total gallons in that picture that are still in primary. All of the others are bulk aging.
How many gallons total?? I also don't split things up that small. The smallest vessel I have is just over 3 gallons. The largest being 5 gallons. All sanke kegs that I converted about a decade ago. Easy to purge with CO2 for long term storage. ;)

I might order up a CF5 for doing mead and cider... hmmmmmm

How many gallons total?? I also don't split things up that small. The smallest vessel I have is just over 3 gallons. The largest being 5 gallons. All sanke kegs that I converted about a decade ago. Easy to purge with CO2 for long term storage. ;)

I might order up a CF5 for doing mead and cider... hmmmmmm
In that picture, there's about 21 gallons. I try to minimize headspace, & when you rack, you always lose product. So, if it will fit into smaller vessels, I try to do it like that. I'm not really set up as good as I'd like to be, but, what I have works. How do you purge with CO2? Do you have a tank & regulator? I really should look into it.

I've used converted sanke kegs for things to either ferment, or age, in. With those, it's easy to purge with CO2. I have a regulator not connected to beer kegs (normally) since my keezer is fed from a different (dual body) regulator. I even have a travel CO2 setup I could use, if I wanted to. Since I also push fluids from one vessel to another with CO2, I have even less risk.

Side benefit of using the pressure transfer method is not needing to lift anything to do a siphon. Also, not opening either vessel's tops means virtually zero risk of contamination.

Back