Any Jun Brewers Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I have been brewing Jun kombucha for a few years and experimenting with flavors. We‘ve done some diced fruit and fruit juice for flavoring. Anyone have any favorite flavorings for Jun — fruit or otherwise?

A combo of fresh raspberries and blackberries. We don't drink it much anymore as the health benefits have met their match. :)

Grapefruit juice 250 mL per 1 L bottle and a DME carbonation tablet for better head retention is my personal favorite.
Thanks! We were always a bit wary of juices with citric acid in them as we thought it might kill the SCOBY. We’ll have to give the grapefruit a try.

We were always a bit wary of juices with citric acid in them as we thought it might kill the SCOBY.

I believe it is best practice to only add the fruit juice when bottling, not during primary fermentation. Your primary vessel with the SCOBY should never have anything added to it but black tea and sugar for Kombucha, or green tea and honey for Jun.

I believe it is best practice to only add the fruit juice when bottling, not during primary fermentation. Your primary vessel with the SCOBY should never have anything added to it but black tea and sugar for Kombucha, or green tea and honey for Jun.
Yeah, I probably want clear. I was referring to adding during bottling — I was afraid it would affect the scoby’s ability to carbonate the jun.

Hello! Would you please tell me where you purchased your jun scoby? I am a long time kombucha maker but just tried my first batch of Jun from a scoby I bought on Amazon. It had blue mold on the top of the batch. i think I will have to toss everything and start again.

Back