Any issues with black on kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
My corny kegs are all-around ugly. I'd like to paint them black with plastic-dip instead of "shining" them, which I don't already have the tools for.

Will a black coating effect a corny keg in any way (bad)?

I can't imagine anything untoward is going to happen with that, but aesthetically I can't imagine anything uglier than a black painted keg ;) I'd be worried that the paint wouldn't hold and would flake off - unless you'd already cleaned the heck out of the kegs (which would probably change your mind about painting them!)

I clean newly acquired kegs with green scrubbies and some Goo-Gone to get all the sticker residue off, which actually leaves them looking pretty handsome with a brushed (read: "matt") finish. Takes about some vigorous elbow work plus three beers to do a keg while sitting out on the deck on a nice day.

Recently I did go back over a couple of my kegs using Bobby_M's polishing process, resulting in an outrageously bright mirror finish that the matt kegs are all jealous about :D Eventually I'll get to them, too - although I'll do it outside as that process made a gawdawful mess of my workshop :(

Cheers!

I don't see how it would be a negative impact to the keg. Just make sure you mask off the locks so that you don't get any on them. Plus, leave enough of a clear area around the lid.

Personally, I'd rather get some Scotch Brite pads and give them a nice brushed finish. I did that to a couple of my sanke keg aging tanks (originally primaries, but I'm brewing slightly larger batches now). I did manage to clean up my one old corny keg pretty well before using it. It just takes some work. There's nothing saying it HAS to be a mirror finish.

BTW, if you do decide to paint them, then I would properly prep them first. That includes cleaning them, scuffing the surface, spraying on metal primer, and then painting with the finish. Just make sure the primer will work with the plastic-dip paint.

A bit of scotch brite, bar keepers friend cleaner, and elbow grease and you'll be better off

I use 220 sandpaper and some elbow grease. I just do lined up and down really quick like and it cleans them up looking great! I wear a mask because the SS could be bad. and then rinse in oxy to make sure theres no funky stuff left over.

Latest posts

Back