any ideas on heat exchanger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luismatalon

Reaction score
I am currently a 5 gallon/cooler system all-grain brewer...I'm slowly but surely planning a 10 gallon system.
I like the idea of incorporating a heat exchanger, not just for the mash recirc. but also for cooling wort.
Has anyone here seen or built a heat exchanger that both heats and cools wort? I was thinking of utilizing a seperate (smaller) vessel with a metal coil line running through it, with both a heating element (for use during mash recirc.) and a hose connection to run cool water (with the ability to add ice and recirculate when trying to reach pitch temp).
Has anyone here tried something similar? I have only come across heat only heat exchangers. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use my HLT as my heat exchanger (instead of a seperate smaller vessel). It also acts as my chiller when I'm done using the HLT. As soon as I start my boil, I begin cleaning my MLT and HLT. By the time my boil is done, I have an empty HLT that I fill with ice water. After my boil, I pump the wort through my coil again and it cools it very fast.

Out of curiousity...how long does it take you to cool down boiling wort to...say...65 degrees? Rough estimate?

I've used a counter flow copper wort chiller for double duty, it worked excellent. Single pass to tap temperature.

I've used a counter flow copper wort chiller for double duty, it worked excellent. Single pass to tap temperature.

This is what I am getting ready to do. I was planning on using a small (6 qt) vessel with a 4500W element inside as the HEX boiler, then using a PID to control that element while recirculating the water through the outer coil and wort through the inner coil of a chillius convolutus. Is that similar to what your setup was? If I am not getting the heat transfer I need from the Chillius, I am thinking about making a new all copper CFC with 30 ft of 1/2 and 7/8 tubing. Any plus, minus or advice regarding the CFC HEX? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back