any ideas for a leftovers batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast_rodney

Reaction score
After less-than-stellar results from my last leftovers batch of beer (a light american wheat lager - nothing like what i pictured) I find myself without great monetary means, but what I think might be enough left over from my last four batches to form something. Here's what I have to work with:

1 lb 14 oz AMERICAN AMBER DME
11 7/8 oz BISCUIT MALT GRAIN
1 lb 4 3/8 oz BRITISH EXTRA-LIGHT DME
13 oz CARAMEL MALT GRAIN
10 oz 6-ROW PALE MALT GRAIN
22 oz BRITISH WHEAT DME
1/2 oz CASCADE HOPS
3/4 oz LIBERTY HOPS
1 pkg COOPER'S ALE YEAST
1 pkg 2035 WYEAST AMERICAN LAGER

My first inclination was to more or less throw everything together and see what happens, but thought some of you veterans might have some ideas to maximize what I have. Not really sure what kind of response I'm going to get from this, but please believe me that this post isn't purely from laziness.

Thanks in advance for any input on this

Throwing it all together wouldn't be to bad, except I wouldn't use all of the biscuit, the rest of the ingredients are a little low OG for that much biscuit I think, maybe use 4 or 6 ounces of it.
I would partial mash the 6-row, caramel, and 4-6 ounces of biscuit. Use all the DME.
You didn't mention your AA% for your hops, but assuming averages, I would either use all of them for the 60 minute addition, or all the cascades and 1/4oz liberty at 60 and 1/2oz liberty at 15 or 20 minutes.
For yeast, I would use the ale yeast and save the lager yeast for another day.

I've always theorized about doing a brewing potluck, having people bring different ingredients and then just throwing everything together and seeing what happens... I say go for it

Use everything but only 1/2lb of biscuit, and 1/2lb of caramel, mashed with the 6-row. Add the Cascade at 90 and Liberty at 60, use the ale yeast, and you could have a low IBU APA. That's what I'd do if I was bent on using those ingredients without adding anything.

My mouth never gets tired of biscuit though, so scale back on that if you want.

Latest posts

Back