Any idea what my tare weight is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I got this tank in a swap out program at welding supply shop - and am trying to figure out if it is almost empty or not. I don't see a TW though, so not really sure how to estimate what is left. It currently weights 30.3LBs.

IMG_20170205_131701.jpg

IMG_20170205_131707.jpg

Nice, that helps. My tank is shorter than the 15# listed there by a few inches, but if that ballpark is 25# than I should be good for a while longer. Will want to swap this guy out for a tank with an actual TW!

I'm assuming you look at all of the tank, but is that all the stampings on the tank? Usually there is a TW## where the ## is the tank weight. Maybe take a wire brush to the top and see if the original stampings have been painted over.

Can't help you with the Tare weight, but I can tell you what most of the other stamps on the tank refer to.
The DOT 3AA ..2015 means that the tank is a seamless steel tank, in accordance with the Dept of Transportation specs, with a working pressure of 2,015 psi. It was manufactured in 1980, and the plus after the 80 meant that it could be overfilled filled to +10% until the next hydrostatic test.

The number highlighted in white paint under the DOT stuff is most likely a serial number.
Each of the other dates on there, with a month, marks from the tester, and year, refer to other hydro tests. The most recent seems to be 2012, though it's had a hard life with all the rust on the teflon tape at the neck.

CO2 tanks are typically filled by weight, not pressure, but the tanks are marked by pressure.

Can't help you with the Tare weight, but I can tell you what most of the other stamps on the tank refer to.
The DOT 3AA ..2015 means that the tank is a seamless steel tank, in accordance with the Dept of Transportation specs, with a working pressure of 2,015 psi. It was manufactured in 1980, and the plus after the 80 meant that it could be overfilled filled to +10% until the next hydrostatic test.

The number highlighted in white paint under the DOT stuff is most likely a serial number.
Each of the other dates on there, with a month, marks from the tester, and year, refer to other hydro tests. The most recent seems to be 2012, though it's had a hard life with all the rust on the teflon tape at the neck.

CO2 tanks are typically filled by weight, not pressure, but the tanks are marked by pressure.

Thanks, very useful. I am going to take this back to the place that swapped me into this tank, and get them to swap me into another one that isn't such a POS. Would be nice to have at least a TW on it :)

Back