any idea??? - (random ingredient list, want help w/recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
what can i make? first ever brew,,any ideas?
p.s. only have a 3 gallon pot , so i have to boil 2.5 gallons or maybe even 2

6#LME
1#DME
1oz cascade
1 pack fermentis dry yeast

I think you may want to add some more hops. You can make a basic pale with that. But what is your AA%?

That will make a good pale ale, but with only 1oz of hops it will be a little on the weak side (hop taste not ABV). I would recommend getting one more ounce of cascades, and you'll have a nice brew. In fact this is very similar to my first brew, only I used 6.5# LME, 2oz Cascades and Wyeast 1056 yeast.

If you're able to get another ounce, I'd use these intervals: .5oz for 60m, .5oz for 15m, 1oz for 5m. This will give you a nice flavorful, aromatic Pale Ale. As for the 3 gallon pot, you can just top off the fermenter to 5 gallons with pre-boiled but cool water. Your other option is to get another pot and do a split boil, but this will complicate your hop addition and double your evaporation rate.

That will make a good pale ale, but with only 1oz of hops it will be a little on the weak side (hop taste not ABV). I would recommend getting one more ounce of cascades, and you'll have a nice brew. In fact this is very similar to my first brew, only I used 6.5# LME, 2oz Cascades and Wyeast 1056 yeast.

If you're able to get another ounce, I'd use these intervals: .5oz for 60m, .5oz for 15m, 1oz for 5m. This will give you a nice flavorful, aromatic Pale Ale. As for the 3 gallon pot, you can just top off the fermenter to 5 gallons with pre-boiled but cool water. Your other option is to get another pot and do a split boil, but this will complicate your hop addition and double your evaporation rate.

That's exactly what I was going to say! do you have any other hops types that you can sub in for the bittering?

well i got all that in a kit , its my first batch so i thought it would be pretty simple,, but the kit came with no guide whatsoever, just the ingredients and a reciept..so i guess theres going to be some stping involved. but when? before or after the LME goes in?
i have no other hops type.. it all came in a kit..

sorry... also got 1#corn sugar

The corn sugar is for priming when bottling. Did you mean steeping? I don't see what you would be steeping...usually you have a lb of some kind of speciality grain like Caramunch sp? or Crystal.

excuse my housemate... heres it is... we got the kit today with:
6# liquid malt extract
1# specialty grains
1oz cascade

i made sure to ask for an extra 2oz cascade.but we never go it.

excuse my housemate... heres it is... we got the kit today with:
6# liquid malt extract
1# specialty grains
1oz cascade

i made sure to ask for an extra 2oz cascade.but we never go it.

Unless you're cascade hops have an unusually high AA%, you're going to need more hops. If they're run-of-the-mill 6%-ish cascade and you use them all for bittering, you'll end up with about 20 IBUs in a ~1.050 OG beer. (EDIT: forgot about the concentrated boil, which will drop your IBUs even further. You should also probably do a late-extract addition, even if you do come up with additional hops) You'd probably want at least 30, maybe 40 IBU.

Another ounce of hops and a schedule liek TwoHeads suggested, and you'll be in good shape.

Where'd you get this kit, anyway? And what type of beer did they say it would make?

Usually you steep the grains in about 1-1.5 gallons @ 155 for 30 minutes. Then add water to about 3 gallons for the partial boil....the rest of the brewing continues as normal.

Unless you're cascade hops have an unusually high AA%, you're going to need more hops. If they're run-of-the-mill 6%-ish cascade and you use them all for bittering, you'll end up with about 20 IBUs in a ~1.050 OG beer. (EDIT: forgot about the concentrated boil, which will drop your IBUs even further. You should also probably do a late-extract addition, even if you do come up with additional hops) You'd probably want at least 30, maybe 40 IBU.

Another ounce of hops and a schedule liek TwoHeads suggested, and you'll be in good shape.

Where'd you get this kit, anyway? And what type of beer did they say it would make?

well im not in the US, English. but living in israel due to work.... got the kit from an online retailer here in israel
american pale ale was what i was told

Back