Any idea how to build this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
Look at the stout faucet connected to the corny on the left. Any idea how to build one of those?

9557-clscore.jpg

HarvInSTL said:
Look at the stout faucet connected to the corny on the left. Any idea how to build one of those?

9557-clscore.jpg

I must say, it was a bit of a shock to click on a new thread and see a picture of my car and gear!! :eek:

Okay, I'm over the shock now, and ready to help! Between the faucet and the ball-lock disconnect is a little mini-shank, and the whole thing just threads together. The little shank is widely available in many places, such as right here.

Honestly, I don't think it's a good way to serve beer, as there isn't enough resistance to prevent foaming. I serve apfelwein with mine, which doesn't have near the protein content of beer and doesn't foam much. Even still, when dispensing I have to turn off the Co2 and even vent some pressure to prevent foam.

For beer, you're much better off with a simple picnic tap, with about six feet of line.

Isn't the purpose of a stout faucet to whip CO2/NO2 into the beer and create a nice foamy head? Have you removed the restriction plate before serving a standard beer?

Thanks for the link and I can remove the picture if you like.

Doh! I think I understand what you mean now. If I am correct in what you were thinking this might solve that issue.

A neat way to handle this issue, that I've discovered, is to put about 5 to 6 feet of 3/16" beer line on the beer out dip tube before filling the keg. This way the restriction is built into the keg and the QD attached faucet works very well. (At least it does for me.) I just coil the beer line up in the bottom of the keg and I'm good to go. It's a great way to have "Beer on the Go" without all of the problems of dispensing

HarvInSTL said:
Have you removed the restriction plate before serving a standard beer?
Yes, I've removed the restrictor plate. I only own the stout faucet because it was too good a deal to pass up, and it was already assembled with the shank and disconnect. Having the line coiled inside the keg wasn't what I was suggesting, but it's an interesting idea! Would it work the same as external line though, given that the tubing is inside the pressurized environment of the keg?

BTW, the use of my picture doesn't bother me in the least, it just surprised me. Actually, that was such an awesome Craig's List score that I'm happy to be reminded of it!

Nope, doesn't matter. The interior of a long beer line is in the pressurized environment regardless of where the tubing is. It's all about the resistance to flow. The problem with the solution is that if the interior tubing end rises up a couple inches, you'll start pulling co2 far sooner than your beer is gone.

Interesting. I suppose it's viable, if you carefully coil the tubing in a manner that keeps the end right at the bottom.

I think I'll just stick to my picnic tap.

Back