Any Hope For Salty Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7brew

Reaction score
So I used 5.2 pH stablizer for the first/second time for a couple of beers. One was fermenting while I brewed the other. I tasted one, and wow, it was salty. It was a wheat yeast, so It thought maybe it was a yeast off flavor...

Then I tasted a sample of my other beer I was brewing fresh today. It's a stout. No yeast added yet. Also salty...maybe a little soapy.

It turns out, that seems to be a common thread with using the pH stablizer.

Do you think there's any hope of salvaging these beers?

Your only hope is to drink them and throw away the 5.2 Stabilizer. I've had many of homebrew over the years. Almost all of them with 5.2 in them taste minerally. I have had a few that were not to bad but the brewer cut way back on the 5.2's recommended amount. With a good water spread sheet like Bru'n Water you do not need 5.2 Stabilizer.

That's a bummer. The first beer was a Brett one, going into secondary fermentation, so I already dropped the Brett Claus yeast into it. The second one isn't that big of a deal - just a low gravity stout, but will at least ferment out and carb to see if it's drinkable.

I wouldn't pour them out! Sometimes a little age will change a beer. I'd Brett it out and see if time, Brett, or gravity doesn't help drop some of the salty flavors out. You never know.

Call the wheat beer a Gose and ereone will think you nailed it.

Find a way to add a caramel flavor to the stout and say it is a Cloud 9 inspired beer.

:D

Back