Any grain mills that can also make flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi guys long time no see. Just wondering if there are any grain mills that can open coarse enough to crack grain for brewing but can go fine enough to make flour for baking.

Thanks

The Corona type metal disc mills will make flour, maybe a little on the course side compared to stone ground. They also crack grain pretty well for beer, but not quite as well as a purpose built roller mill, they tend to crush the hulls more than optimal.

I used a Corona for beer for years, efficiency went up some with roller mill. I had a gal who made flour with it, did not make the lightest bread, but OK if you like heavy multi grain type.

The attachment for the kitchen aid mixer claims to do both, but not all that well for big $$$

It’s really 2 different tools,
Corona maybe worth a try

^^^^
Another no vote on the Kitchen Aid. It will tear up the husk too much for brewing at any setting, and cannot mill fine enough to make a flour suitable for baking. Pretty useless.

The goals of milling for brewing and flour are so different and contradictory, I can't imagine a tool that could do both adequately. For brewing, you need to crush the endosperm into a few large pieces without so much as tearing the husk, and without making any flour. Rollers are the tool for this job. For flour, everything must be broken down as finely as possible, and the best tool for this is a hammer mill, or a very specifically designed burr mill. Any compromise is just that. Note that the Corona is not designed to do *either* of these jobs. It's meant for cracking corn into grits, which it does well.

Can't any malt mill, if set too narrow, make flour?

They can but it will be very coarse flour and will only work for a short time. As unmalted grains are tens of times harder than malt your malt mill will experience an extremely shortened lifespan if you use it for purposes other than what it was designed for.

Latest posts

Back