Any good Roggenbier recipes out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Just found out about this style and I am intrigued because I love rye. I browsed the database and found only one recipe with reviews. Anyone ever try to brew this style? Got any tried and true recipes? Are protien rests necessary with that much rye? So many question.

I brewed on last year that turned out great. I came up with a recipe and compared it to Jamils' recipe from the brewing network. I would go to the podcast and take notes. I did my standard 60min mash at 152f. I got good efficiency and good attenuation. Cheers!
mark
Beer Diary...

Brewing up soon myself. Going to give that wb-06 a try. ALos trying to decide on a recipe. Might just go single step. I used to gum rest my heffes but they seemed to always be really tart (gum overlaps acid rest).

I've done a number of rye beers, just not with a heffe yeast. Protien rest in not necessary. You don't wanna be able to see through it anyway. Gum rest is useful dpending onyour systems ability not to clog up.

What % of rye? FLake or malt?

I have this one kegged right now. Came out very nice. Brew Club loves it.:

ROGGENBIER (10 Gal)
11 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (3.0 SRM) 50.00 %
5 lbs Munich Malt (10.0 SRM) 21.74 %
4 lbs Pilsner (2.0 SRM) 17.39 %
2 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 8.70 %
8.0 oz Carafa I -Dehusked (320.0 SRM) 2.17 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [2.60 %] (60 min) 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Perle [9.40 %] (60 min) 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.00 %] (15 min) 2.1 IBU
Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

Mash: 113F, 131F, 152F

8.0 oz Carafa I -Dehusked (320.0 SRM) 2.17 %

In my roggenbier I used 2 oz of Carafa II dehusked (JZ recipe). I got feedback that it has unpleasent porter-like burnt nutes, do you find them in your beer?

Second question: I have problems attenuating them properly, what was FG of your beer?

JB,

this roggen thing is obsessive!

While researching I came across something called Sahti

Basically, add juniper berries to a roggenbier and BAM!, sahti.

Here is a microbrewery version:

Huvila Sahti

Huvila Sahti is a traditional Finnish sahti (an ancient Finnish beer-style). It is brewed with barley and rye malts, together with juniper twigs. It has a strong aroma of banana and rye, and a strong and quite sweet taste.

Prizes
Bronze medal, top-fermented beers, over 5 % (TOT, Tampere 2003)
Ingredients
water; Sahti malt-blend, rye malt, munich malt, dark crystal malt; juniper twigs; baker's yeast
Original Gravity
24,4%
Alc.
10,4 vol-%
Serving
8 - 12 C, half-pint
Package
Keg 10 litre or 30 litre

I will probably swap the baker's yeast with hefe. This thing could be a great winter beer! Maybe even bump the abv 1% for warmer.

In my roggenbier I used 2 oz of Carafa II dehusked (JZ recipe). I got feedback that it has unpleasent porter-like burnt nutes, do you find them in your beer?

Second question: I have problems attenuating them properly, what was FG of your beer?
It's a 10 gallons batch but there are no off flavors what so ever. Dehusked is supposed to cut down on the bitterness of the malt.

Back