Any good Quadruple recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have been attempting some recipes in the past. I always thought they would fall under some "strong dark ale" or something non-descript like that, but recently after having a few brews, I feel my ideal recipe would fall under a Belgian quadruple. Ideally somewhere between St. Bernardus 12 and Sweetwater Dank Tank.

I have looked and found the reservoir or quadruple recipes somewhat wanting. Any good people here have quadruple recipes or hints that are willing to share?

According to sweetwater, their Dank Tank comes in at an astonishing 167IBU...but yet it is amazingly balanced yet doesn't carry a severely sweet/overly-malty flavor...just good dark tones.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Kyle

Quadruppel and Belgian Strong Dark are pretty much interchangable as far as I can tell, just two different names for the same family of beers.

Here is a beer I did based on Struise's Pannepot: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/01/pannepot-clone-cuvee-tomme-again.html it is still bulk aging, but it is certainly headed in the right direction. Using dark candi syrup is one of the keys to making a good dark/strong Belgian that isn't too sweet.

I added some light spicing with coriander, orange zest, cinnamon, and thyme. Certainly optional, but if you go that route you want it at or just below threshold levels (I used 10 grams total in 5 gallons). I also went pretty easy on the hops (25 IBUs) which is pretty typical of Belgian examples, but if you liked the Sweet Water feel free to hop it up.

Back