Any good low profile whirlpool arms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I have a spike kettle and while their pickup tube and whirlpool arm are high quality, they aren't exactly shaped the best for BIAB. My whirlpool arm gets knocked around during the mash because they aren't solid in place due to the compression fittings and the arm sticking out into the kettle. This causes the whirlpool to not spin correctly after the boil.

Any suggestions for something threaded that I can use with BIAB?

What's the bulkhead type? Most of my kettles just use a 1/2" SS elbow threaded onto a 1/2" bulkhead...

Cheers!

yup 1/2" threaded bulkhead.

Don't know if they'll work with your system, but this is what I plan to go with. Pretty slick.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/spincycle.htm

This looks awesome but won't work. This is for weldless systems only.

Now this has peaked my interest! The output looks tiny though, does it function well?

That Brewtec fitting looks highly restrictive compared to a simple elbow.
Then again, not being a hydrodynamics engineer (I do 1s and 0s - as an art form, of course ;)) I don't know if velocity wins over volume...

Cheers!

Works really well for 12 gallons of wort in a 22 gallon pot. With the bulkhead that it comes with, and mounted as shown on the link, it sticks out 1-5/8 inches from inner kettle wall. I would not modify it to stick out less as the wort then be somewhat directed towards the wall which would take a lot of the energy out of the flow. I don't BIAB, but it seems to me this doesn't have any distinct edges to snag your bag.

It's hard to know what the alpha acids are so bitter with purchased hops of known AA and flavor, aroma with the home grown.

Back