Any good ideas for this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So, I have a big beer I am going to brew with WLP013 London Ale and instead of just doing a huge starter of almost 3 gallons, I was thinking of just doing a batch of a bitter or something like it to build up the starter that way then maybe just throw the big beer on top of the yeast cake after it is done.
I have the following grains:
12lbs 2-row
2lbs crystal 60
2lbs crystal75
2lbs victory
2lbs aromatic
2lbs black patent
.75lbs pale chocolate
.75lb roasted barley
.60lb crystal 120
.60lb english brown
.60lb crystal 15

Hops:
2oz warrior
1oz tettnanger
2oz hallertau
2oz chinook
1.75oz cascade
1oz columbus
1.25oz Ahtanum
.5 EKG

So, anyone care to take a crack at a recipe that I don't have to go to the homebrew store to get any additional? If I do, any ideas that use majority of what I have and a small bit of something else?

Thanks for any input!!

I'd use all the 2-row, 1 lb of the Crystal 60, 1 lb of the victory malt, the brown malt, and maybe a half pound of the chocolate malt. Go easy on the hops, bittering with no more than 0.5 oz of the Warrior, then adding the EKG about halfway through the boil.

At 70% efficiency, here's an ESB heading towards an IPA, with an OG of 1.058, finishing around 1.014. Adjust whatever you want however you want or ignore entirely if you like. Normally, I'd use EKG and maybe some Fuggles late, but I subbed Hallertau and Tet because you already had them and I think they'll work fine. Historic UK breweries used hops from a much wider variety of sources than we like to think, including both of those varieties.
10 2-row
.6 Brown Malt
.6 C-15
.25 c-120
.66 Warrior to bitter (roughly 45 IBUs)
2oz Hallertau, .5oz Tet 5 minutes
.5 Tet, .5 EKG Dry-hop

What's the big beer you have planned?

That looks good! I am doing a winter warmer (JZ's recipe). Sounded good and I'll probably give them away from Christmas presents! (O.G. of 1.092)
Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually thinking of an ESB also! Appreciate it!

Back