Any good Chocolate Mint Stout recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I know I'm ambitious, but my buddy wants to try a special Christmas beer. So we've decided to go with a Chocolate Mint Stout. I've got tons of Mint growing at my house so we should be OK there. I've got Candy Mint and loads of Spearmint.

Anyone ever tried this?

ian said:
I know I'm ambitious, but my buddy wants to try a special Christmas beer. So we've decided to go with a Chocolate Mint Stout. I've got tons of Mint growing at my house so we should be OK there. I've got Candy Mint and loads of Spearmint.

Anyone ever tried this?

Randy Mosher has a recipe for one in his book Radical Brewing. I can post it, buts its gonna have to wait until this afternoon. Let me know if you want it.

Only post if its not time consuming. I don't want you to type the whole thing up. . . . unless you really want to :)

Here's the recipe orrelse referred to, from Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.

8.0 lb - 76% - pale ale malt
2.0 lb - 16% - biscuit/amber malt
0.5 lb - 4% - roast barley
0.5 lb - 4% - black patent malt

0.5 oz - 60 min - Northern Brewer (7% AA)
1.0 oz - 20 min - Northern Brewer (7% AA)
1.0 oz - end of boil - fresh spearmint
0.12 oz - end of boil - dried peppermint mint

Thanks guys! but I would do mine using extract. Not really experienced/confident enough to try an AG just yet :D

The book says "for extract + mini-mash recipe, substitute lbs of amber dry malt extract for the pale ale malt".

It doesn't say how many lbs of dme to sub for 8 lbs grain, but I'm sure someone else here must know that. Everyone says that partial grain isn't any tougher than extract...fixin to go that route for my second batch.

OK cool, my first batch is/was a partial mash so that's no big deal. I just would want to know the extract substitutes.

El Pistolero said:
The book says "for extract + mini-mash recipe, substitute lbs of amber dry malt extract for the pale ale malt".

It doesn't say how many lbs of dme to sub for 8 lbs grain, but I'm sure someone else here must know that.

Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract (LME)
(Example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract)

or
Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(Example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. Dry Malt Extract)

Hope that helps.

Wild

fresh Spearmint. I'm guessing whole leaves?? The book doesnt say.
i've used fresh whole apple mint and it worked out great! french press the leaves into tea @ 170* while you boil your recipe, then chill and dump in your mint. might not hurt to add more post fermentation to assure you get the strong mint aroma. that's what i did and it worked out well...

I talked to the brew of Bootleggers in Fullerton, CA and he made a mint porter that tasted fantastic. He said that he added them in the secondary/bright tank kinda like drop minting I guess :)

Back