Any good beer in Japan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three_Trees

Reaction score
I'm on vacation in Japan and was wondering if anybody knows some good beer to try here or breweries worth checking out.

Where in Japan are you. You can mail me at:

I live between Osaka and Kobe. There is good beer available but it does require some searching.

Edit: Ihave erased my email, sorry Copper.

I spent three weeks there, very fun and a lot to see, but I went with a bunch of chicks so we spent more time searching the geisha districts than we did for beer...

Most everything I tried was similar to American, though Sapporo was pretty good as was Yebisu. Asahi and Kirin weren't that good.

The cool thing is that they sell beer in vending machines! It's pretty cool to be walking around, stop and grab a beer, walk around some more, grab anotehr beer, and keep going. I think that is what kept me going at some points.

You can find Guinness if you look, but it comes in 12 oz cans. One of the guys I was with lived there for a couple years and said that most Asians lack something or another that process alcohol, so they get trashed off a beer or two, hence the small serving sizes. I dunno if that is fact of if he was messing with me :p.

Catfish said:
Where in Japan are you. You can mail me at:
dionne DOT fish AT gmail DOT com
I live between Osaka and Kobe. There is good beer available but it does require some searching.

I'm relatively close to you in Kyoto.

orfy said:
I'd go on a Sake crusade.
I'm definitely looking around for some good sake to take back to the U.S. and a nice sake set to serve it in.

beatlesdude said:
I'm relatively close to you in Kyoto. QUOTE]
I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in Kyoto, that is a gorgeous place. I loved it. I am very jelious :mug:

Be sure to try the unflitered sake, I think its called nigori. Thats the only kind of sake I personally like.

ArroganceFan said:
Be sure to try the unflitered sake, I think its called nigori. Thats the only kind of sake I personally like.

I'll be sure to try that. Thanks!

Craft beer (ji-beeru, ji is pronounced like the letter G) can be hard to find.
In Kyoto, if you go to the Nishiki Market, you can find some of the Kyoto local beers in a couple of the shops. Nishiki closes at 5 pm. I know there is a brewer in Takatsuki, it is south of the station. THey brew a Kolsh and an Alt, When I had their beers I was not too impressed. There is also a brewery in Minoh, Osaka. They do mostly American/ English style beers. THeir website is:
http://www.minoh-beer.jp/
It lists various bars where their beers are available. Also in Osaka is Dolphin, a bar specializing in Belgian beers. I haven't been there but I hear it's good.
If you come to Nishinomiya (there isn't much reason to come here, though) there is a bar specializing in Japans Craft beers, they have an ever changing six or seven beers on tap, also a hand pump beer from Yaho Brewing (Nagoya).
As for the major brand beers. THe two best are probably the Ebisu adn the Suntory Primium Malts. The Ebisu black is good... or it was, I think they just changed the recipe to reduce the offense roasty flavors you get from using enough specialty malts. The Kirin Ichiban and Sapporo black label are pretty good for ice cold drinking beers. The Asahi Super dry is quite bad.

While here you should also pick up a single can of the Happoshu, any brand will do. It is with the beer and looks like beer but is remarkably cheaper (less tax). 150 a can instead of 250. Choose what ever flavor you like... you probably won't be able to finish it before the headache starts.

Good luck and enjoy Kyomizu-dera, Ginkaku-ji and the rest.

By the way there's a really good Tempura Eel Donburi place a sanjo-dori, North side of the street somewhere between Kyomizu-dera and Hankyu station. just look for the red and black sign for 穴丼.
Enjoy

I can't thank you enough Catfish! That's really great info. I was at Nishiki Market yesterday and this morning, wish I had known earlier. I'll go back sometime this week since it's only a 10 minute ride on the subway. I found some beer called Nile and supposedly a couple local universities researched ancient egyptian beer and using a geneticist, they were able to recreate the plants used in the recipes to make this beer. I'll give that a try and let you guys know.
Well once again, thanks Catfish, this will give me plenty to do for the remainder of my vacation :D

Don't know if you plan on coming up the Tokyo way, but if you do I'm in Yokosuka which is abut an hour (by train) away. The craft beer scene is pretty solid, and the sake here is great. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier, o well. Anyway, hope you enjoy Japan, it's a great country.

Danny013 said:
One of the guys I was with lived there for a couple years and said that most Asians lack something or another that process alcohol, so they get trashed off a beer or two, hence the small serving sizes. I dunno if that is fact of if he was messing with me :p.

Ive got a number of Asian friends and they dont really seemed to get trashed that much faster than anyone else. But we have noticed that as their level of intoxication increases they turn brighter and brighter red in the face.

Back