any fix for too much pie spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
I brewed up a sweet potato spiced ale for an upcoming party, and I had no flavor or aroma at kegging time. I boiled a small amount of water which I added 1/4 teaspoon of pie spice to, and mixed it in with the brew. Now there's too much. It's got a bit of a raw spice note to it, not overwhelming, but a bit too much for me.

Is it possible to remedy? I didn't think such a small amount of spice would take me from no flavor to too much. I should have added less, obviously, then tasted, add more if needed. But I didn't. I know time will help round it out, but Saturday is approaching fast.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! :mug:

1/4 teaspoon ended up as too much for 5 gallons? It was 5 gal right?
The spices may mellow over time but you don't have that so the option to mix with another beer wouldn't be bad.

Also, have someone else try it before you mess with it. There's a chance your pallet it incredibly sensitive. I added about a tablespoon of spice at flame out and nearly another 1 week before bottling and found the flavor to be really nice. Not overbearing but noticeable.

Thanks for the tips, I have 3 other beers to serve, but none that would blend well with this one. I did add spice to the kettle, I can't recall how much off hand. I found it to be lacking at kegging time. It was a 10 gal batch, but yea this is 5 gal worth. The first 5gal is gone, and it was good. This one is a month older, maybe more.

Maybe some spice didn't dissolve, and settled to the bottom of the keg, so I got a glassfull in my first tasting?

I had my wife taste it, she thinks its fine. I still think its strong, I guess a few days will tell. I just don't want to serve sub-par beer to my family and friends. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back