Any Experience with the KAB4 Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I bought this burner the other day for use with my Keggle.

I tried to test it out over the weekend, and I was rather dissappointed.

Just to gauge its limits, I tried to boil 12 gallons of pretty cold water.

It took about 2 hours to get boiling, and used a half tank of gas.

Im pretty sure I have it working properly (only blue flame). I didnt think it would take that long to get it boiling.

Has anyone else used this burner?

You must have a leak. I have the KAB5 which is essentially the same burner in a different frame. I boil 12 gallons in about 20 minutes. My pots have enormous bases and the burner is able to lick flames around the outside of the bottom. Can yours do that?

It doesnt really kick the flames out around the edges. SInce it is a keggle, the bottom rim tends to hold the flames back.

It does get pretty hot. I mean, that thing fires up like crazy.

After I posted that message, I saw some other comments on the KAB4, which indicate that the model I got keeps the base of the pot a little further away from the flame. I suppose that could be my problem.

How would I know if I have a leak?

The KAB4 delivers a hell of a lot of BTUs. I've never run one on a keggle so I can't comment on whether or not the flames will come around, but they do saturate the bottom of these:

7601-April282007007.jpg

You can check for a leak with soap and water on all connections. Bubbles form if you're losing propane, but you would likely smell the adulterant they put in it to make it stink. Any chance you're getting a breeze blowing the heat away? It doesn't take very much to drop delivery significantly. I use a shield to keep the flame vertical unless it's a still day.

xx

Back