Any experience with: Rakau, Eureka, or EXP 6277 hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrazela

Reaction score
I find myself with 4oz each of: Rakau, Eureka, and EXP 6277 hop pellets from Farmhouse Brewing.

Was thinking of doing some simple single-hop, late-hop-bursted Pales with each, just to learn them.

Anyone with experience using these hops? Just want to hear what you found with them.

I haven't brewed with them myself, but a local brewery makes an all Eureka IPA and it is dank and tropical and delicious. Don't know how much help it is to you, but I love that brew.

Ive used each. Here's my impressions from what I remember, some are more recent than last

Eureka - very similar to the "simcoe on steroids" description. Lots of pine and citrus, with a spice element simcoe doesnt have. the dankness might be brought out more by other dank hops. simcoe sometimes is to me depending on the harvest

Rakau - lemongrass, pine, spice. Good, but Not as assertive as I thought it would be. I used it alongside simcoe in a black IPA in equal parts and the simcoe outshined it

exp6277 - This one I wasnt too impressed with. I liked the "juicy fruit" descriptor and felt it kinda applied to the smell. But the end hop character (blended with azzaca) was just muddled and not as strong as I figured it wouldve been. It did eventually lead me to my jolly rancher IPA though, so Ill give it that.

I think eureka and simcoe would pair well together...and is actually going to be my next black IPA in a week or two

Ive used each. Here's my impressions from what I remember, some are more recent than last

Eureka - very similar to the "simcoe on steroids" description. Lots of pine and citrus, with a spice element simcoe doesnt have. the dankness might be brought out more by other dank hops. simcoe sometimes is to me depending on the harvest

Rakau - lemongrass, pine, spice. Good, but Not as assertive as I thought it would be. I used it alongside simcoe in a black IPA in equal parts and the simcoe outshined it

exp6277 - This one I wasnt too impressed with. I liked the "juicy fruit" descriptor and felt it kinda applied to the smell. But the end hop character (blended with azzaca) was just muddled and not as strong as I figured it wouldve been. It did eventually lead me to my jolly rancher IPA though, so Ill give it that.

I think eureka and simcoe would pair well together...and is actually going to be my next black IPA in a week or two

So is EXP 6277 the same hop as the El Dorado highlighted in your Jolly Rancher IPA?

Sounds like I can't go wrong with the 4oz Eureka in a 4gal batch of an all late-add hop-bursted pale (Ashburne mild SMaSH, S-04). Pine, citrus, spice, and a little dank? Those are all my favorites!

Maybe the other hops, being less assertive on their own, I'll blend with something else (or maybe together?) in an IPA / "imperial pale." Heck maybe I'll do a Jolly Rancher IPA, seeing as how I've still got the flavors in the lab from the last project I did for that brand.

Shlafly Brewing in St Louis has a Hop Trial beer with Eureka. They used only 2 row malt and Eureka and brewed to 45 IBU.

I made a centennial/el dorado IPA (I think 6277 is el dorado). definitely use more el dorado than centennial, but it's a good IPA.

Back