Any excellent recipes for tubo yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrg247

Reaction score
I am sitting happy drinking my 2nd batch(newbie) which is an Irish Stout(a bit lighter i.e. more sugar). Anyways, I have some 24hr turbo super yeast sitting next to me. I was thinking of making a beer with about 15% alcohol. Are there any recipes that use this yeast? This is what I was thinking of doing:

Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager (slightly altered).

3 1/2lb plain extra-light dried malt extract
2 1/2lb light honey
1 1/2oz cascade hops(boiling)
1/2oz cascade hops(finishing)
American Ale yeast OR..... turbo yeast!
3/4c corn sugar OR.... a hell of a lot more for turbo yeast?

please give me your opinion. I need to use it up anyways ;)

Turbo yeast really bites for making beer, all kinds of esters and high-weight fusels. I use it to dry-out high-gravity ales (and I keep the temperature low), but not for the primary fermentation.

Turbo yeast is used for making alcohol that will subsequently be distilled. Think. moonshine. There are high-alcohol beer yeasts that will reach well north of 15%, if you REALLY want to do a big beer, look into some of those. As to styles, look at things like Imperial IPAs and barleywines.

Remember, too, that making a high-alcohol beer is a lot more complicated than just tossing in an alcohol-tolerant yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back