Any concerns buying a used Therminator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1200rsvt

Reaction score
I was thinking about picking up a used Therminator but the more I think about it I am wondering if I should be concerned about build up inside it since I don't know how it has been cared for. Is this something I should be concerned with or am I just paranoid? Am I going to see that there is a problem the first time I run water through it (ie junk coming out)? I have read a few threads on cleaning and emphasis is usually placed on keeping it clean to begin with. Is this something that should be bought new as to avoid possible beer contamination or will a good soak and flush keep me safe?

Thanks for any input. :mug:

You could also stick it in the oven at 400F for an hour. Theoretically the organic matter will turn to ash. For an added effect, you could rinse it thouroughly beforehand of any chemicals, then let the the water inside boil off and steam the chiller.

+1 oven, however the cleaning cycle @ 800F is twice as good as 400F.

it did however turn my chiller into a different color!

I think used will be fine. I would flush and back flush with hot PBW or oxiclean solution. I would then flush with an acid rinse like star san solution. The oven is a good idea but I would use chemicals first to get rid of most of the organic matter.

Overnight soak in hot PBW followed by a hot rinse, then a short soak in starsan should do the trick. I should fit in a bucket fine. No need to flush if there are no hoses attached.

Back