Any comments on my Kashi cinnamon harvet brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
1 box of Kashi cinnamon harvest cereal
5 pounds 2-row- 1 pound roasted

Mash at 52 degrees for about 55 minutes

About a cup or 2 of brown sugar

Northern brewer hops 1 ounce at start
Cluster hops at 15 minutes and 5 minute(3/4-1/4- total 1 oz)

60 minute boil

Re-used safale us-05 for the yeast

How do you think it will turn out? Made me sneeze every time I breathed in the boil. Cinnamon flavor seems quite strong at this point.

Any update on this?

Oh sure. It turned out great! I'm not really sure how to describe the flavor, very complex. Probably the 7 different whole grains in the cereal. I was very surprised that the cinnamon flavor was almost hidden in the end, but I did like the spicy undertone to it. I don't know that I could have identified what I was tasting if I had not added the ingredients myself. A little sweeter/maltier than what I am used to. But the sweetness was like an undertone too. I would also describe it as "filling". Not a light beer. By the color, you would have thought it was an amber ale. Then surprise, what's this?!! Tons of flavor, but so much stuff going on, difficult to pinpoint any one thing. The majority of the batch is still bottle conditioning. Pretty sure it will just get better and better.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! Any thoughts about how a lowly extract brewer might adopt the recipe? (Does the cereal actually have to be mashed? Hmm. If so, maybe I'll start mashing sooner than I thought!)

A cereal mash is different from regularly mashing barley. Many adjuncts-cereal grains aren't malted, and need to be cooked (cereal mashed) to make the starch available for enzymes in barley to act on it.

A cereal mash is different from regularly mashing barley. Many adjuncts-cereal grains aren't malted, and need to be cooked (cereal mashed) to make the starch available for enzymes in barley to act on it.

I got plenty of sweetness from the cereal by just mashing it the bag with the 2-row.

Back