Any Columbia South Carolina brewers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
I am probably moving to the Chapin / Columbia area and was wondering how the water is in the area for brewing. Anybody out there live near there and care to share that with me I would greatly appreciate it. Also, what about LHBS in the area. I find one place Bet-Mar. Is it any good? I will be coming from Florida where I have a few within a 30 minute ride and concerned with only finding one. Any info would be great.

Bet-Mar is probably the closest to you in Chapin. there is another in northeast Columbia/Pontiac area: DIY Brewhouse. This is my LHBS and i love the service. can't tell you about the water though.

I can't help with the water either, but there's another lhbs in Lexington called hopyard.

Thanks for the responses. As for the water, do you both brew all grain or extract/partial mash? Just wondering as to what water you currently use. If you say you brew all grain and use the municipal water, that would make me feel better.

I'm relatively new to homebrewing, I just did my 5th batch this weekend. Of the 5, 3 have been all grain and 2 extract, all with municipal tap water. They all came out pretty good as far as I'm concerned so I'm assuming the water must be at least ok for brewing but I can't tell you anything about the water chemistry as that's still a bit out of my depth.

I'll add the bet-mar is ok for supplies. His expertise seems to be better for wine and he pushes his kits. He has a good selection of grains in the back in bulk so if you don't see it packaged then ask.
The Hopyard is the head brewer for the Old Mill Brewpub. Good advice when you need to get an opinion on something you're brewing.

The water is soft so adjustments are for the most part additions. No need to dilute to lower a concentration of an ion. Most brewers I've talked to don't bother too much with water chems.

There's also the brew club. Palmetto State Brewers at palmettostatebrewers.com. The website is dated and the forum has sort of moved to Facebook but the club is active and hosts a competition, does beerventures once a year and a couple of parties. Also does regular brew sessions at a members house. A couple of members are in the Chapin area.

I'll add the bet-mar is ok for supplies. His expertise seems to be better for wine and he pushes his kits. He has a good selection of grains in the back in bulk so if you don't see it packaged then ask.
The Hopyard is the head brewer for the Old Mill Brewpub. Good advice when you need to get an opinion on something you're brewing.

The water is soft so adjustments are for the most part additions. No need to dilute to lower a concentration of an ion. Most brewers I've talked to don't bother too much with water chems.

There's also the brew club. Palmetto State Brewers at palmettostatebrewers.com. The website is dated and the forum has sort of moved to Facebook but the club is active and hosts a competition, does beerventures once a year and a couple of parties. Also does regular brew sessions at a members house. A couple of members are in the Chapin area.

Thanks for the great info. Coming from a high alkaline water system it will be nice to not worry too much about the water. Hoppy beers take some adjustments to really taste good. Thanks for the info on the club. Once I am all settled I will take a look at it.

Good to know about the Hopyard store. Last one in Lexington I went to was the Keg Cowboy. It had good stock and a tasting room but customer service was hit or miss (in my case, mostly miss). I use well water for all of my brewing and love the final products!

The water is soft so adjustments are for the most part additions. No need to dilute to lower a concentration of an ion. Most brewers I've talked to around here don't bother too much with water chems.

Back