Any Clues as to Where from Here. Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
I made up a quince wine last April that necessitated a short boil, bagged fruit definitely not to be squeezed into resulting must. So I collected the squeezings, (made a flagon full that's 1.5 litres for the unaware), added some pectic enzyme, capped it and placed in a box out of the light.
Five months later it had cleared nicely so I decided to make a 1 gallon (US)mead out of it (3.8 litres). 400 grams honey per litre seemed a good figure so I was in business.
Unfortunately I forgot to allow for the SG of the squeezings, only woke up after I'd pitched the no name generic yeast that's all I can get from my local HBS.
SG prior to pitching was 1135 or pretty close to, hydrometer gradings run out at 1120, guess they're all the same? Anyway knew I would have problems so I babied it along with plenty of aeration and a second nutrient hit when SG dropped to 1060. Yesterday it stopped and cleared pretty suddenly.
Today I racked it, SG 1028. It still has strong honey flavour with plenty of sweetness and a tongue tingle, no sign of fruit.
Is there anything I can do to further the ferment please? Or is it all over?
Should I just place it back in it's box for a couple of years, then take a look?

Well, you're over 14% ABV, so that's probably about it unless you want to try some champagne yeast which might take it a bit further. The problem is that high ABV will be pretty toxic to yeast. If you really want it to ferment further (it'll be less sweet, but might taste like rocket fuel), you could take out some of the mead (like 1/2 cup) and dilute it with some water and add some yeast. When it's nice and foamy (in a couple of hours), add a little more mead. Keep doing that until you're adding mead and it's still fermenting. Eventually, you can add it all. Do it slowly, as to not stun the yeast.

Don't aerate or anything like that, so do this "quietly" without splashing. It might work for you.

Thanks for the response Yooper.
I was hoping to lower the sweetness somewhat but the likely rocket fuel result changes that. I've sufficient alternative fuels going presently to not want any more - it's fascinating tho' to experience the changes coming back month by month when racking; some (wines) aren't taking too long to mellow to something half respectable.
Your method is worth keeping in mind for future use; am sure will need it sometime.

Back