Any chance to save this fart beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HermeticHealer

Reaction score
I cooked a Vienna Lager, but later discovered what it meant to actually 'lager' a beer. The kit stated that the lager yeast would perform well if fermented at ale temps.

So I pitched the yeast and let it sit at about 62 Farenheit. A krausen finally appeared after ~6 days. I found this to be odd. For 1 day it smelled like sulfur and hops, then the krausen pretty much died and settled back to the bottom of the carboy.

I tasted the beer after 2 weeks. It tasted like corn sugar water with hardly a hint of alcohol.

I am considering pitching an ale yeast, just to see what happens. Otherwise it goes down the tub. I don't care if it turns into a weird science project, who knows, maybe I'll discover a new vaccine.

Any suggestions?

What yeast was it?

Not tasting alcohol in your beer isn't necessarily a bad thing; most good beer shouldn't have any alcoholic bite.

I cooked a Vienna Lager, but later discovered what it meant to actually 'lager' a beer. The kit stated that the lager yeast would perform well if fermented at ale temps.

So I pitched the yeast and let it sit at about 62 Farenheit. A krausen finally appeared after ~6 days. I found this to be odd. For 1 day it smelled like sulfur and hops, then the krausen pretty much died and settled back to the bottom of the carboy.

I tasted the beer after 2 weeks. It tasted like corn sugar water with hardly a hint of alcohol.

I am considering pitching an ale yeast, just to see what happens. Otherwise it goes down the tub. I don't care if it turns into a weird science project, who knows, maybe I'll discover a new vaccine.

Any suggestions?

You are supposed to be making beer, not whiskey. Check your gravity with the hydrometer, make sure it is done fermenting. The lack of krausen doesn't mean it's done. Give it plenty of time to complete, like 2 to 3 weeks, then bottle it and let it have at least 2 weeks in the bottle at room temperature before you chill it. Let it have a couple days to properly chill, sample it, then report back on how it tastes. I think you will be surprised at how it turns out.

There is a severe punishment for abuse of beer. If you need to dispose of it, there's a ceremony and a formal interrment process, followed by a mourning period. It involves myhrr, frankensense and precious metals. It does NOT involve sanitary drainage piping

Seriously,lager yeast needs to brew at lower temps than 62F. Unless it's a cali steam beer yeast. And it's gunna small funky with sulfer & the like. Completely normal. Read up on the lager brewing process before dumping it. Nothings wrong with it at this point that can't be corrected.

Latest posts

Back