Any brewmagic users with BH trub filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_M

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the brewershardware trub filter for a little while but haven't been able to figure out if I will have height issues and or getting the pump primed while using the Sabco (therminator) plate chiller. What are your thoughts?

What is the orientation of the pump-filter-chiller?
I'm familiar with the chill wizard. My system uses a 60 plate duda diesel plate and I've been able to avoid pump priming issues to date. Very similar to he wizard.

My BH filter is after kettle, then pump, then 3way ball valve, and then plate chiller. I skip the chiller during the whirlpool and then switch the flow to include the chiller after about 10min. The pump drives the wort through the chiller with ease.

I lose about 1/2 gallon during the process...your mileage may vary.......the wort trapped post pump.

Currently mine goes boil kettle then pump then chiller. There is a triclamp fitting that attaches to the triclamp valve on my kettle that has a bleedervalve built into it that you open to purge air out. I guess now that I think about it im not as worried about the priming the pump as much as I am worried about what fittings I need to buy and height clearance if I were to mount it vertically as the boil burner/ kettle is on the lower tier of the brewmagic stand. From your response I would assume you are happy with the performance of the filter? It seems like there are a lot of mixed results out there. Thanks for your insight!

Filter before the pump has worked for me. My pump is about 2 ft past the BH filter.

Overall, I've been happy with the hop filter. At first I had the beer flow going inside the filter...basically backwards. Also, my best results have been keeping the device vertical. The pics on the BH website are helpful.

Like many things in brewing, there are a lot of variables for effectively reducing hops/trub/other. My preference is to whirlpool, use mesh pickup tube and the BH filter. When using whole hops I'll use a hop chute (stainless tube similar to a spider).

Back