Any brewers In the Suffolk area of England?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpl-america

Reaction score
I live in Brandon currently, I'm just trying to see if there are any brewers in the area. I have met some kit brewers, but that's all.

Hey, I just PCS'd in from Offutt, I'm at Mildenhall and we just signed a lease for a place in Brandon on Mill Hill Road. I am mostly a kit brewer, but I did keg. I got my stuff coming in TMO in April and was looking to start brewing again. I have a large garage and a spare shed I plan on building a bar and putting in another small kegerator...know where I can materials, do you do brew days, anything like that?

Yeah, but with the new baby it is hard to plan a great time to do so. I'm about to fill a keg with my st. Patrick's day brew. I do all grain. As far as material, I order online, from here or the states. If you are looking for wood, you might try thetford. B&q. Pm if you want to try and set up a brew day.

works for me, i'm about to deploy for a bit, then i'm back for a month then gone again. I'd like to find some local stuff to brew with, and any advice on kegerator equipment finds in the area, let me know, thanks man.

Norwich has a shop. If you want extract there is a place in bury. I order local grain from brewuk.co.UK otherwise you will have to go to far away stores, or the farms themselves. I order equipment from homebrewing.org they are cheap and ship to apo very swiftly usually twelve days. As far a fridges and freezers, I would ckeck out bookoo.com

awesome man, i haven't gotten into all grain because of my time away and just lack of time...might take a look at your set up and see what it would run me and the processes and all that.

Cool, I live in Lord's walk. $130. But if you are willing to do gas it's a lot cheaper. I do electric. I could have a better set up, but I'm cheap, and hey "why fix what's not broken." Ag does give you more control of your beer. I average about £12 a brew. Cheaper if I buy in bulk, more expensive if I need hops.

Haven't decided yet, but my next brew is either going to be an APA or centennial blonde. I could use some lighter beers, or more p.t.

Hey guys around mildenhall...I'm flying over on on Wednesday. I'd be glad to bring any US stuff you need. Let me know...plus you can point me to a great pub or twelve?!

Hey guys around mildenhall...I'm flying over on on Wednesday. I'd be glad to bring any US stuff you need. Let me know...plus you can point me to a great pub or twelve?!

I just deployed, sorry can't help, depending on where you are, there are some pretty good pubs. Bird in Hand is close, the food sucks, but its a good place for greene king beer. If you can get to cambridge, tons of good pubs.

Hey all! I'm down in Mildenhall as well. I'd also be interested in joining or hosting a brew day. Has anyone filled their US CO2 tank here yet? I'm just starting kegging, and had an "oh ****" moment after I ordered my stuff, when I realized I may not be able to get the tank filled here! Are the bottles/connections the same as the UK ones?

Well, I wish I would've found this thread earlier, because I brewed today, but maybe we can get together sometime in the future!

Sorry, I have been busy. But if you are still looking for pubs I can point some out. I'm sure I'm kind of late.

Hey all! I'm down in Mildenhall as well. I'd also be interested in joining or hosting a brew day. Has anyone filled their US CO2 tank here yet? I'm just starting kegging, and had an "oh ****" moment after I ordered my stuff, when I realized I may not be able to get the tank filled here! Are the bottles/connections the same as the UK ones?

Well, I wish I would've found this thread earlier, because I brewed today, but maybe we can get together sometime in the future!

Filling is hard here, I know a couple places, but it is super expensive. I got mine on the down low. I'm totally up for a brew day, but I would probably have to bring my kid. I haven't brewed in a couple months, but I am planning an octoberfest.

Sweet! Bringing a kid is fine with me... I have a very young one myself. I have a couple Midwest kits coming my way in a few days hopefully, and as soon as I bottle the current batch, I'll be ready to brew one of the new kits. Maybe over the long weekend coming up.

So where can I get co2 filled? I'm not too worried about cost, as it is a necessary expense. I'm wanting to keg the next two batches, probably within the next 3-4 weeks.

boc used to do it, but have recently decided that homeowners were an unnecessary risk. i will see if i can find it, but i recently found a motor shop that carried small bottles. how big is your tank? if you have an adapter i can probably give you a little from mine. you can do an online search for beergas. otherwise there is a place in cambridge that sells small s20 gas cylinders.

the trend seems to be that they will only fill their own cylinders in this country, and will not fill yours. some people buy full tanks on ebay. good luck with the search and let me know about the brew day. i'll pm you my number.

I think I'll probably have to get a British tank, and see if I can adapt my regulator to it. So far this seems to be the best option. I may have to get a British regulator if that doesn't work. Thing that sucks, is I specifically bought a dual regulator system so I could maintain different pressures on two kegs, so I could carb one keg while the other was at serving pressure.

I'm at a loss otherwise... I've asked around, but I have yet to ask the question at beautiful beers in bury st edmunds, or beers of Europe in Cambridge. Hopefully one of those places can help me.

I find it very hard to believe that I'm the first person to PCS here and run into this problem!! It's very frustrating. I guess I can always bottle.

Are you planning to brew your all grain batch soon? If so, I'd like to observe!

Just as soon as my grain comes in the mail, when is good for you. I work weekends, so a weekday os best for me. Friday per haps

hey guys sorry i'm late to the party, i'm down for a brew day, just brewed a pumpkin ale...i got the goods for a chocolate breakfast stout which I plan on doing soon, when are you guys looking at...i'm at a busy flying squadron so i may not have a big window, dont' let me hold you back but we may be able to do something!

I'm free most evenings and weekends, and could definitely come over this Saturday after my trip to beautiful beers ;)
i have some Midwest supplies extract kits coming in the mail soon and want to try to brew them on Sunday or Monday week after next...

Me! I was actually wondering about this myself. I live in Kentford, a tiny village between Bury St. Edmunds and Newmarket. I just got into brewing and for now I'm concentrated on making ciders and wines. It would be nice if there were some brewers around here to meet/exchange tips and tricks with, etc.

What time are you planning to start on Sunday?

By the way, I believe I have found the adapter I need to connect a UK CO2 tank up to my regulator. I'm still going to go over to beautiful beers today and probably pick up a CO2 tank... Although the guy on the phone said that they were close to 3ft tall. Maybe I can find a shorter tank somewhere else?

Here's the part I ordered this morning for my regulator: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E9Y8LXQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What time are you planning to start on Sunday?

By the way, I believe I have found the adapter I need to connect a UK CO2 tank up to my regulator. I'm still going to go over to beautiful beers today and probably pick up a CO2 tank... Although the guy on the phone said that they were close to 3ft tall. Maybe I can find a shorter tank somewhere else?

Here's the part I ordered this morning for my regulator: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weldability-Sif-Co2-Regulator-Nut/dp/B00E9Y8LXQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1_GH3M

I haven't set a time yet. I realized I need to go pick up a bag of caravmalt, and Munich. So sometime in the afternoon . How much does bb charge for a tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I wish I would've known you needed items before I left. They've got some grains and things there at BB and I could've picked the up for you. He charged me £45 (£10 deposit) for the full tank. The tank is nice and big, maybe double or triple the size of my US CO2 tank... I have a feeling it'll last a while...

image-2767043212.jpg

Soo I just saw your post about brew day... I got on here and refreshed earlier but didn't see it until now. Oh well next time perhaps.

It turns out I didn't have enough time any how, so I just made a cider. I am going to try later this week.

I bottled the "honey bee ale" today... It's a Midwest supplies extract kit. Anywho, there was a bee in the fermenter. It's bottled now and my plan is to drink it anyway unless anyone can think of a reason I shouldn't.

On a side note, it finished WAY low. Went from 1.038 to 1.002ish... Maybe my hydrometer is out of whack? It didn't taste super dry. Any thoughts? The yeast is US 05 and the temps were a little high 77 for the first day, then 75 for the next 12 days in the FV. I made sure to check the temp correction for the hydrometer.

1.038 seems like a pretty low og to me, or maybe i'm just used to brewing big beers, but 1.002 sounds pretty dry, like wine dry. but who knows it might be delicious, never toss an unfinished beer. if you want to check if your hydrometer is out of wack, fill your test tube with just plain water, your hydrometer should read 1.0000 if it does, then you are gold.

as for the bee, if he didn't cause an infection, then it shouldn't be a problem. Do you use airlocks?
I am going to do my brew sometime this weekend, shoot me a text if you are up for it.

I've been doing some reading on high attenuation and low FG, I think I may have over pitched. See, I've had this US 05 in the fridge for quite some time and I was worried about its health. So I did my first yeast starter and just eyeballed the amounts of DME and water. I eyeballed them so well I'm not sure how much I used. I think it was a cup of light DME with a few cups of water.

I think the beer did taste a little dry, but I think it'll be drinkable.

I may not be able to come by this weekend, but don't wait up for me, they'll be other chances for me to watch. But let me know when you brew and Ill see if I can leave for a few hours.

Finally brewing that ipa

ForumRunner_20130902_205034.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130902_204716.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130902_204716.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20130902_204847.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130902_204847.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 88
Back