Any body else...Doing yard work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
Doing yard work:eek:

Must of been close to 50 today. Worked on my paper this morning for my thesis (trying to graduate in May), then was gonna take the kids to practice their baseball/ softball but that got whacked as the kids lost my glove:(.

So instead I: cut all the ornamental grasses down, cleaned up around the pool, raked leaves, CUT THE LAWN (yeah go figure :rolleyes: ) and tomorrow I plan on putting down the 1st treatment for lawn fertilizer.

I must be stupid (dont answer). Oh and we decided to gut the hallway (wallpaper all over it and it is easier to gut and rerock, mud and tape) and paint that before we get the hardwoods refinished.

All of this and my internship and 1 more class.

Gluten I tell ya, glutten :drunk:

It got to be about 80 today. Fixed some of the curbing around the trees, remulched, mowed, and built a compost bin.

I started a major project this weekend: low water use, low maintenance landscaping for the front yard.

The first step was easy, don't water the lawn and let it die. I've got two 10' palm trees to move to the back yard, then I begin the process of removing the mostly dead grass. (I'm sure my neighbors love me right now)

The new yard will have a couple trees, several bushes/shrubs and various ground covers. We'll have some large stones and a decomposed granite pathway as well.

The new "xeriscape" will only need water a couple time each week once it is established. The current sprinkler system will be converted to drip irrigation. Maintenance for the new yard will be minimal.

Anybody want to buy a used electric lawn mower?

Brewed a couple batches on Saturday morning---yard work would have been absurd anyway, given the high winds---but we finally did hit the yard on Sunday. There were still a bunch of leaves in our gardens, so we raked them all up and then edged some beds. I think we're now all cleaned up and ready for a load of mulch.

I can't wait for spring. Bulbs are already coming up, and tons of woody plants are sprouting buds. w0000t!

Today is our warm day.. 55 degrees.
There's a bunch of stuff I want to do outside, such as clear the snow from the footing of my driveway, dig out some stuff under the snow in the backyard...

Sorry honey, can't do those things.. It's supposed to pour down rain all day.
Oh well!

No school here today- the kids have a snow day. My yard is under about 6 feet of snow, and it's still coming down a little. I guess "yard work" to me means running a snowblower.

Does shoveling snow could as yard work? Because that's what I was doing Saturday. Then of course it warms up to 42 yesterday and melts everything - making my shoveling a big waste of time!

Yoop you get about what, 3 months of warm weather a year up there? :D

I did yard work this weekend. I shovelled! Gettign some rain today, and the schools closed due to crappy side roads. I'm hoping for a long slow melt, and an end to winter weather. I've had enough snow and cold for one year.

I *did* bring the garden hose in this past week. I needed to use it for my Counterflow Chiller! Oh, and I bought a weed puller yesterday. I broke my old one last year, and really liked it so I got another. This time I'll only use it for what it was meant to be used for, I promise!

Damn, where to all you freaks live, Greenland? It's supposed to be 70f here today. Perfect. A nice happy medium between OB/Yoop in Greenland, and Virtuous in Ecuador.

Saturday I raked and cleaned the flower beds in the back yard. Sunday, I cut down some ornamental grasses, pruned 3 crepe myrtle trees, hauled yard waste to the dump and mowed the grass. It was a very busy weekend in the yard.

YooperBrewmistress said:
Well, if summer falls on a Saturday, we have a picnic.
:D :D :D

We are up into the 50s today but that probably won't get rid of all of the 12+ inches of snow we got last week. Yard work will have to wait until not only the snow melts but the ground drys out enough so it no longer resembles a bog. With lake effect snows and heavy clay soils yard work is often delayed well into the spring.

Craig

Ran the cultivator through the hop yard and replaced one of the lines. The daffodils are starting to come up, so no mowing until they die back. Hoping I can afford to buy a 4x4 compact tractor this year. I really need the traction and a big brush cutter for the meadow. The blackberries just laugh at the lawnmower.

I actually enjoy work, but my yard is small ~.25 acre. However, I have not gotten started yet. Two more weeks or so. Definitely glad I didnt as, even though it was 70+ degrees all weekend, we are supposed to have our worst winter storm of the year over the next 24 hours. Rain, followed by freezing rain, followed by about an inch of ice, followed by 6-10 inches of snow. Should be fun.

I am definitely looking forward to getting started though. I have a lot of spring projects, but I dont mind them. Gives me an excuse to get outside and enjoy the day. In a week or two I am going to rake up the remainder of the leaves, spread seed and fertilizer (I aerated and dethatched last fall, so my yard is a little thin), and start my watering regiment. Then some mulch and some flowers and it will just be upkeep as far as the yard is concerned.

Evan! said:
Damn, where to all you freaks live, Greenland? It's supposed to be 70f here today. Perfect. A nice happy medium between OB/Yoop in Greenland, and Virtuous in Ecuador.

Hmmm... I took a trip to VA a few years back, in Feb. I think. Picked up a '67 Cougar with my father-in-law. Was about low of 50ish in the morning, and they were complaining! week or so ago it was -degrees here, so anything close to freezing feels great!

I can bust up the 2-3 inches of ice on my driveway today. Spring is on it's way!!:ban:

I need to shovel a 1-2 feet of snow in order to get my trailer to the new garage where i'm planning on fixing it up. That is AFTER i bust through the solid wall of ice/snow that the plows have piled up beside the road. We got 6 foot piles next tot eh driveway this year, and this is AFTER a complete melt in December, and another in January!

My gardening this year will consist of planting a few bines of Hops. Snow, snow go away!

It's still a weather roller coaster here in plains but, yup been doing yard work.

Tilled up the plot for the hop yard and trimmed all the ornamental plants around the house. It was 78*f yesterday. Today it's 35*F with blowing snow.

I gotta move somewhere tropical with brown women in bikini's.

I'm doing more yardwork Tuesday. I am eliminating most of the grass in my front yard and replacing it with mulch or native ground covers.
I am also replacing the doors on the pool cage and several screens that the old dog tore up. I changed the pool pump last week and I'm trying to get the pool clean enough to swim in by the weekend.

Oh yeah temps about78-82:ban:

I've started doing a little weeding, and I'm getting some beds ready for spring color. It's actually been rather nice. Funkenjaeger and I were talking about it the other day. Tell the folks what you told me, Funkenjaeger.

TL

I am sure am glad that other people are doing some yard work. At first I thought I was a complete freak!

Just got done the fertilizer for the front, seeded and fertilized the back yesterday.
I decided to sit on the porch for a little while. It was nice.

Back