Any Bells 2-Hearted Fans out there? On a big sale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If so:
1659545644808.png

1659545584222.png

This may sell out... it's a very good deal for a kit, shipped and all.

Makes one wonder why? Trying to build a new customer base?

12 lb American two row, 1 lb Light crystal and 4 oz Centennial hops. Not sure what else might come in a kit. That's $1.54/lb for the grain and the Hops are free! The cheapest my LHBS has grain for right now is over $2/lb. It's a little over $1 if I buy a full sack.

12 lb American two row, 1 lb Light crystal and 4 oz Centennial hops. Not sure what else might come in a kit. That's $1.54/lb for the grain and the Hops are free! The cheapest my LHBS has grain for right now is over $2/lb. It's a little over $1 if I buy a full sack.

It should have yeast as well.

Just checked, yeast is extra.

Last edited:
It should have yeast as well.

Just checked, yeast is extra.
Yeah, that's always been the case with NB, MB, and such. Although they're sold as homebrew kits, they're not complete at all. Many first time brewers have been caught in that caveat: there's no yeast!

4 ingredients make beer: Malt (extract), Hops, Water, and Yeast.

We can accept they don't supply the water. But at least a Campden tablet, and a pouch of a suitable dry yeast (or better, a choice from a selection) should be included at regular retail $40+ kit pricing, with the option to exchange it for a different yeast, paying the price difference if there is one.

Wishful thinking, we know.

The grain came mixed. I'm not sure what 8% Caramel 10L brings to the table. I guess a touch of sweetness. Centennial is labeled 4.9% AA. One has to wonder if that is a misprint. Northern Brewer website lists their centennial a 9-12%. Maybe the low AA is part of the reason for the discount. Fingers crossed on the yeast. It's been in my chest freezer for a couple years.
IMG_7079.jpg
IMG_7080.jpg
IMG_7082.jpg

Bell's used to sell direct as an online homebrew store with a relatively full set of products to choose from. Looks like they are no more, but they still do sell their kits direct on their website. Does anyone know the story with the shutdown of the broader online store?

Bell's used to sell direct as an online homebrew store with a relatively full set of products to choose from. Looks like they are no more, but they still do sell their kits direct on their website. Does anyone know the story with the shutdown of the broader online store?
Larry Bell retired and sold out. The new owners did not want to run in that competitive, saturated market they have no experience in.

Larry Bell retired and sold out. The new owners did not want to run in that competitive, saturated market they have no experience in.
Thanks for that info. That's too bad. They were solid... probably still are for the kits at least.

Larry retired with some health concerns. Larry tried to get his daughter to take over the company and she did for a few years but in the end, it just didn't work. Ultimately Larry did what was best for his employees and the community to keep the Bells name going. One of things that did go by the wayside was the homebrewing sales, that was unfortunate. The community of Kalamazoo is grateful that the brewery and the Eccentric Cafe is still open. They both remain top tourist destinations and pump lots of money into our local economy.

Larry retired with some health concerns. Larry tried to get his daughter to take over the company and she did for a few years but in the end, it just didn't work. Ultimately Larry did what was best for his employees and the community to keep the Bells name going. One of things that did go by the wayside was the homebrewing sales, that was unfortunate. The community of Kalamazoo is grateful that the brewery and the Eccentric Cafe is still open. They both remain top tourist destinations and pump lots of money into our local economy.
Great points.

The grain came mixed. I'm not sure what 8% Caramel 10L brings to the table. I guess a touch of sweetness. Centennial is labeled 4.9% AA. One has to wonder if that is a misprint. Northern Brewer website lists their centennial a 9-12%. Maybe the low AA is part of the reason for the discount. Fingers crossed on the yeast. It's been in my chest freezer for a couple years.
I called them about the low AA before my son and I brewed two kits. It turns out the vendor made a mistake. They are actually 8.2%. CS said they were already printing new labels because other people had called too.
Even at 8.2%, the IBUs were a bit light, so I decided to add some Nugget hops at the start of the boil to bump up the AA to the target of 70 IBU. The beer is a beautiful orange color, and has a nice mild caramel flavor to go along with the massive hop character, so the 10L caramel malt is definitely contributing. The beer is two weeks in the keg and it's already really good. I would recommend this kit in a minute, especially for 20 bucks.

Last edited:
I called them about the low AA before my son and I brewed two kits. It turns out the vendor made a mistake. They are actually 8.2%. CS said they were already printing new labels because other people had called too.
Even at 8.2%, the IBUs were a bit light, so I decided to add some Nugget hops at the start of the boil to bump up the AA to the target of 70 IBU. The beer is a beautiful orange color, and has a nice mild caramel flavor to go along with the massive hop character, so the 10L caramel malt is definitely contributing. The beer is two weeks in the keg and it's already really good. I would recommend this kit in a minute, especially for 20 bucks.
I looed it up yesterday. Sadly, it is not $20 any more. But maybe again someday...

Back