Any AG recipe suggestions for this weekend's brew session?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I'm all pumped up to brew tomorrow -- I just got my Barley Crusher in the mail on Tuesday, I cut the top off an old keg on Wednesday night, and I put together one of Lil' Sparky's hop straining contraptions, so I'm all set to try out my new gear! But I'm not quite sure what I want to brew, so I'm hoping for some good suggestions.

Here are my limitations/caveats:

1) I don't really want to brew a Pale Ale. I just put a keg of that on gas to carbonate last night, and I'd like to try something else.
2) (This is the biggy) I'd like to use the hops I have on hand. I bought Nugget, Cascade and Mt. Hood from Hops Direct, and I still have a fair amount of each of them left.
3) Since I want to brew tomorrow, I really don't have time to do a proper starter, so I'd like to use dry yeast, probably Nottingham, since I've got several packets of that hanging around in the beer fridge. I've got a stirplate, so I could do a 24-hour starter, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Ok... with all those limitations, anybody have any suggestions? If I had the hops for it, I'd finally get around to trying Orfy's Hobgoblin clone, but I don't.

Yeah, those are definitely PA/IPA style hops, which is my standard style -- just looking to do something a bit different. I'm wide open on grains -- I don't have much on hand other than odds and ends from half-used 1/2 lb bags, so I'll be buying grain tomorrow AM. Before I got the mill, I couldn't really justify buying grains in bulk anyway, though that will probably change now.

Brewt00l, that's an interesting idea. I've not had the XI, but I sure do like their beers in general. Got a recipe, by any chance?

I've got 3 letters for ya:

E.
S.
B.

happy0158.gif

The hops might not be exactly to style, but as long as you stay in the IBU range for ESB's, I bet you'll never know the difference. Do you have the grains for an ESB?

Dark/black IPAs seem to be popular right now. I had 2-3 different examples in Vermont last month. They were all pretty good...

You could do something like a Kolsch with Mt Hood, or even a lager if you have the capabilities. You could even do a wheat beer with Mt Hood. However, those would all be specialty yeasts.

Evan! said:
I've got 3 letters for ya:

E.
S.
B.

happy0158.gif

The hops might not be exactly to style, but as long as you stay in the IBU range for ESB's, I bet you'll never know the difference. Do you have the grains for an ESB?

Just make sure to mash high enough if you do use the Nottingham...

e lo said:
Brewt00l, that's an interesting idea. I've not had the XI, but I sure do like their beers in general. Got a recipe, by any chance?

http://www.stonebrew.com/11th/ale/

I don't have a recipe but I would imagine taking something like a standard ruination style recipe and adding a touch of cofee malt or light roasted barley then zapping some dehusked Carafa or Sinmar for color would get you there.

Ohh, an ESB. I like it. Maybe I'll try something like Redhook's ESB which I think uses American hops; Willamette, I think.

Soulive -- How come? Nottingham's attenuation too high?

Woo-hoo! Just doughed in. The Barley Crusher with a drill attached is AWESOME! The crush was just gorgeous. I'm curious to see what my efficiency will be.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Awesomely helpful as always.

e lo said:
Ohh, an ESB. I like it. Maybe I'll try something like Redhook's ESB which I think uses American hops; Willamette, I think.

Soulive -- How come? Nottingham's attenuation too high?

My Redhook clone used 2 ounces of Willamette and 2 ounces Tettnanger hops.

cubbies said:
You could do something like a Kolsch with Mt Hood, or even a lager if you have the capabilities. You could even do a wheat beer with Mt Hood. However, those would all be specialty yeasts.

I know you already brewed, but FWIW I did the Long Trail Kolsch out of North American clone brews subing Cascades for the flavor hops and was one of my favorite brews. Wish I still had some actually. :(

That's another good idea, skee. I've got that book on the shelf at home. Maybe for next weekend!

Back