Any advice on my first AG brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JClinedinst

Reaction score
I just received my Smithwick's Clone kit from AHS. It will be my first AG batch...
I've done alot of research, built a Mash tun? and have read over the directions that came with the kit atleast 10 times. I pretty much understand what needs to be done (for the most part) but if anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it

:mug:

I've not brewed that particular kit but since this is your first crack at AG I'd suggest you keep some ice and close to boiling water on hand in case you miss your target mash temp. This way you can adjust up or down as needed. This really helped me the first couple of times.

Other than that (and to add to shecky), RDWHAHB if you have one, have fun, and enjoy the AG experience.

I've not brewed that particular kit but since this is your first crack at AG I'd suggest you keep some ice and close to boiling water on hand in case you miss your target mash temp. This way you can adjust up or down as needed. This really helped me the first couple of times.

Other than that (and to add to shecky), RDWHAHB if you have one, have fun, and enjoy the AG experience.

Alright, thanks for the advice man. Trust me I always RDWHAHB. (I share)

Heat more water than you think you'll need. I usually have a 4 quart pot at near boiling temp, and my old 4 gallon enamel pot (that used to be my brew pot when I was doing extract batches) with about 180F water for corrections when I dough in and mash out. Better safe than sorry.

Temperatures are very important, check them often, double check with a separate thermometer if you can.

Heat more water than you think you'll need. I usually have a 4 quart pot at near boiling temp, and my old 4 gallon enamel pot (that used to be my brew pot when I was doing extract batches) with about 180F water for corrections when I dough in and mash out. Better safe than sorry.

Temperatures are very important, check them often, double check with a separate thermometer if you can.

:) I Just recently bought a bigger pot 7.5 gallons I believe. My old one was 5gallon or so which I use to use for extract. Good adivce man, Thanks for the reply :mug:

stir your mash to break up dough balls I stir hard in the start, and stir every 15-20 min. efficency went up!
something that isn't well documented.

+1 to the stirring. Especially when you first get the mash going. I start with some water in the tun, add some grain and stir, add more water, more grain, stir, etc... after its all in and going I try to stir every 20. Also, as I'm draining the wort into the kettle, I have the burner going to get the wort up to a boil quickly.

After you do it once, it really isn't as 'scary' as it first seemed.

+1 to the stirring. Especially when you first get the mash going. I start with some water in the tun, add some grain and stir, add more water, more grain, stir, etc... after its all in and going I try to stir every 20. Also, as I'm draining the wort into the kettle, I have the burner going to get the wort up to a boil quickly.

After you do it once, it really isn't as 'scary' as it first seemed.

Nice tip on getting it up to heat as your draining. Actually trying this method this weekend. just need over 10' of line so may use home depot stuff... heck in 20 years AIR will give you cancer! In all seriousness home depot stuff should be safe.

do a search on here for "first time all grain tips," or "tips for brewing first all grain batch...." or something in that realm.

thats the best piece of advice I can give.

oh, and: start in the morning of a day you have NOTHING ELSE TO DO. trust me, its much easier to get everything right (especially when you drop your glass thermometer in your strike water and have to start all over;)).

have fun.

+1 to starting the kettle heating while collecting first runnings. It definitely save you a few minutes.

If you can, get some brewing software. Having the ability to print out a brewday checklist that's all pre-made specifically for that day's brew has made my brewdays so much easier.

... just need over 10' of line so may use home depot stuff....

I normally try to just keep my tun on a table next to the kettle. I think I have about 2' of line. I've been using the home depot stuff and no funny twitches have developed yet.

+1 to brewing software, if you don't already have it. It makes life SOO much easier.

:mug:First time is always scary but some of the best beers were simple mistakes. I did alot of reading befor i got started on forums and in this book I got http://41217jkxp5-5al5yla1xs8bmf5.hop.clickbank.net/ its like the beer bible good luck
I'm not familiar with that book, so i don't know what it contains. But, judging by the website, doesn't look like its worth spending money on.

I hope you didn't pay $47 dollars to be one of the only 500 people to get it before it is taken offline forever.

My recommendation is to take good notes. Especially your strike water temp, ambient air temp, grain temp, and mash temp. You probably won't hit it dead on the first time, but with good notes you can get closer and closer to the proper mash temp every time, if you have notes.

Have some boiled, chilled water (or otherwise sanitary cold water) at the ready. I just made an AG batch yesterday, and lost far more water in the boil than expected. Boiling and cooling more water added considerable time to the process.

Running over or under volume has been pretty much the only major annoyance for me in brewing AG. So I'm learning to have two things handy while brewing: 1. DME, in case yield is lower than expected; and 2. Cold, sanitized water, in case gravity is too high or volume too low.

In addition to everything else stated, I would not focus too much on whether you hit your OG. There are several variables that will impact your efficiency and you shouldn't worry about what went wrong if you miss your OG. You can make corrections on your next batch, and it will still be beer at the end of the day.

+1 on doing it when you have nothing else to do. While it is not labor intensive, it is a longer process than extract.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips. Looking to get this brew session started here within the next 2-3 hours. (hopefully) I'll have pictures up later on tonight after everything is said and done. ;)

For now I'll be relaxing, reading more stuff and having a homebrew :mug:

Latest posts

Back