any additions to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo

Reaction score
i have an ale down at the moment in primary do i need to add anything to the secondary fermentation besides the beer and is a regular fermenter fine for secondary?

You don't have to add anything to the fermenter, just make sure to properly sanitise it, siphon the beer into it and let it sit for a couple of weeks.

Although... it depends on what your brewing. You said Ale so I'm assuming clarity will be a small factor. But if it's not, you're ready to bottle. Aging is another factor.

Many homebrewers want their first batch in the bottle quickly. If time is not an issue throw it in the secondary and let it age and better clear. If time is an issue and clarity is not than it's time to bottle.

Good luck.

Iordz said:
You don't have to add anything to the fermenter, just make sure to properly sanitise it, siphon the beer into it and let it sit for a couple of weeks.
so i cant just let it run through the tap? if i siphon it in that will pick up alot of the sediment in the bottom wont it?

Sanatise anything that comes in contact with the beer prior to moving to the secondary, and sanatise the secondary well. Keep the siphon of the bottom of the primary and you'll be fine. Siphon the beer all the way until you reach the sediment.

If you're bottling right away, don't be afraid to sacrifice a little beer to avoid picking up the sediment. If you want to use the spigot on the bucket, that's fine, just open it slowly and drain the first pint or so into a glass (great for testing the gravity) or into the sink to avoid the little bit of sediment that may be disturbed by the moving fluid. But once you are in transfer mode be sure to avoid splashing by using a tube to gently move the beer into the bottling bucket.

If you're going to use a secondary (clearing) vessel, don't worry about the tiny bit of sediment as it will settle out in a few days. edit: but always, avoid splashing

shafferpilot said:
If you're bottling right away, don't be afraid to sacrifice a little beer to avoid picking up the sediment. If you want to use the spigot on the bucket, that's fine, just open it slowly and drain the first pint or so into a glass (great for testing the gravity) or into the sink to avoid the little bit of sediment that may be disturbed by the moving fluid. But once you are in transfer mode be sure to avoid splashing by using a tube to gently move the beer into the bottling bucket.

If you're going to use a secondary (clearing) vessel, don't worry about the tiny bit of sediment as it will settle out in a few days..
so you saying it ok just to put the secondary fermenter straight under the tap and letting it run into it?

NO, don't do that! Use a tube from the spigot to the bottom of the new carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash at all. You never want to have it splash after it begins to ferment.

Even when you bottle, use a piece of tubing or a bottling wand so it doesn't splash into the bottle.

See this: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Actually, that whole howtobrew.com is valuable reading.

YooperBrew said:
NO, don't do that! Use a tube from the spigot to the bottom of the new carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash at all. You never want to have it splash after it begins to ferment.

Even when you bottle, use a piece of tubing or a bottling wand so it doesn't splash into the bottle.

See this: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Actually, that whole howtobrew.com is valuable reading.
yeah i have a tube that runs from the tap it has a valve on it so it doesnt let any beer through uness it is touching the bottom of the bottle.... if i run a regular garden hose from the tap to the bottom of secondary would that be fine? just as long there is no splash yeah?

you got the idea. Clean the crap out of that hose first and sanitize it. open the valve a little at first to keep the splashing down.

damo said:
yeah i have a tube that runs from the tap it has a valve on it so it doesnt let any beer through uness it is touching the bottom of the bottle.... if i run a regular garden hose from the tap to the bottom of secondary would that be fine? just as long there is no splash yeah?

Use clear food grade tubing, not a garden hose.

Back