Quantcast

any additions to secondary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

damo

Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
australia
i have an ale down at the moment in primary do i need to add anything to the secondary fermentation besides the beer and is a regular fermenter fine for secondary?
 

Iordz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
955
Reaction score
6
Location
Phoenix, AZ
You don't have to add anything to the fermenter, just make sure to properly sanitise it, siphon the beer into it and let it sit for a couple of weeks.
 

ndhowlett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
2
Location
Mountains
Although... it depends on what your brewing. You said Ale so I'm assuming clarity will be a small factor. But if it's not, you're ready to bottle. Aging is another factor.

Many homebrewers want their first batch in the bottle quickly. If time is not an issue throw it in the secondary and let it age and better clear. If time is an issue and clarity is not than it's time to bottle.

Good luck.
 
OP
D

damo

Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
australia
Iordz said:
You don't have to add anything to the fermenter, just make sure to properly sanitise it, siphon the beer into it and let it sit for a couple of weeks.
so i cant just let it run through the tap? if i siphon it in that will pick up alot of the sediment in the bottom wont it?
 

ndhowlett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
2
Location
Mountains
Sanatise anything that comes in contact with the beer prior to moving to the secondary, and sanatise the secondary well. Keep the siphon of the bottom of the primary and you'll be fine. Siphon the beer all the way until you reach the sediment.
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
16
Location
Cincinnati OH
If you're bottling right away, don't be afraid to sacrifice a little beer to avoid picking up the sediment. If you want to use the spigot on the bucket, that's fine, just open it slowly and drain the first pint or so into a glass (great for testing the gravity) or into the sink to avoid the little bit of sediment that may be disturbed by the moving fluid. But once you are in transfer mode be sure to avoid splashing by using a tube to gently move the beer into the bottling bucket.

If you're going to use a secondary (clearing) vessel, don't worry about the tiny bit of sediment as it will settle out in a few days. edit: but always, avoid splashing
 
OP
D

damo

Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
australia
shafferpilot said:
If you're bottling right away, don't be afraid to sacrifice a little beer to avoid picking up the sediment. If you want to use the spigot on the bucket, that's fine, just open it slowly and drain the first pint or so into a glass (great for testing the gravity) or into the sink to avoid the little bit of sediment that may be disturbed by the moving fluid. But once you are in transfer mode be sure to avoid splashing by using a tube to gently move the beer into the bottling bucket.

If you're going to use a secondary (clearing) vessel, don't worry about the tiny bit of sediment as it will settle out in a few days..
so you saying it ok just to put the secondary fermenter straight under the tap and letting it run into it?
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,468
Reaction score
12,093
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
NO, don't do that! Use a tube from the spigot to the bottom of the new carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash at all. You never want to have it splash after it begins to ferment.

Even when you bottle, use a piece of tubing or a bottling wand so it doesn't splash into the bottle.

See this: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Actually, that whole howtobrew.com is valuable reading.
 
OP
D

damo

Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
australia
YooperBrew said:
NO, don't do that! Use a tube from the spigot to the bottom of the new carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash at all. You never want to have it splash after it begins to ferment.

Even when you bottle, use a piece of tubing or a bottling wand so it doesn't splash into the bottle.

See this: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Actually, that whole howtobrew.com is valuable reading.
yeah i have a tube that runs from the tap it has a valve on it so it doesnt let any beer through uness it is touching the bottom of the bottle.... if i run a regular garden hose from the tap to the bottom of secondary would that be fine? just as long there is no splash yeah?
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
16
Location
Cincinnati OH
you got the idea. Clean the crap out of that hose first and sanitize it. open the valve a little at first to keep the splashing down.
 

Joker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
36
Location
Orygun
damo said:
yeah i have a tube that runs from the tap it has a valve on it so it doesnt let any beer through uness it is touching the bottom of the bottle.... if i run a regular garden hose from the tap to the bottom of secondary would that be fine? just as long there is no splash yeah?
Use clear food grade tubing, not a garden hose.
 
Top