Anvil immersion chiller quick cleaning before use question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I set up my new anvil foundry with a long wash using pbw / starsan. During yesterday's brew day I forgot about washing the new immersion chiller that came with. I had a 5 gl bucket of star San and stuck the chiller in and washed it quickly with my hand to get most of the manufactoing oils off. I shook it dry and put it in the foundry to cool down the boiled wort.

Is a quick scrub in star San good enough or could I have ruined my batch? The bucket had a pretty nasty layer on top after washing the chiller but you never know if it's good enough when you don't rince dry and then sanitize. My wife says to try the beer when it's carbonated because I would be able to taste if it's off. Does anyone thing I'm over thinking if the beer is safe to drink?

No way for us to know what you're in for here. Not sure that hand-washing in Star San is going to be all that effective as a cleaner but hopefully you did manage to knock nearly all the crud off before use and you'll never know it happened :)

Cheers!

No way for us to know what you're in for here. Not sure that hand-washing in Star San is going to be all that effective as a cleaner but hopefully you did manage to knock nearly all the crud off before use and you'll never know it happened :)

Cheers!
Do you think I should wait and see or dump it now? I would hate to hand out samples and have people get sick. I'm not even sure if I would able to taste it in the finished product. I know others would say relax don't worry... But youre right that I'll probably never know if this batch is truely free from what ever chemicals stick to new SS. Ugh luckily the foundry makes it a very easy brew day so maybe I'll need to start again.

I wouldn't dump it without tasting it - or at least pouring a glass and seeing if anything floated to the surface.
I would think the worst of whatever residue might have been left would be lubricant...

Cheers!

I just hit mine with hot water and a sponge before first use, the beer turned out fine. Unless it was visibly dirty or oily to the touch even after your starsan wash, it's going to be ok.

Agreed, it's an unfortunate brew day when something doesn't go how you plan, but odds are that everything will be fine. Definitely let it go and find out w/ the finished product.

+1...taste it first. I just had a keg kick last night from a brew day that I made so many mistakes on, was surprised that it turned out, and am now kinda sad that it is gone.

Because if all the mistakes are what led to it being good...I certainly can't recall what the heck I did because I was way too flustered to take any notes!

Back